Parents tend to appreciate handmade gifts from their kids for special occasions, so we came up with this simple and classy leather project for a wonderful Father’s Day gift. Although younger children would not be able to make these valet trays on their own, this project is totally doable for older adolescents looking to craft. And of course our DIY leather valet is not exclusively for Dads – you can easily make these for some beautiful handcrafted home decor or desk organization!
- Metal Ruler
- Utility Knife
- Cutting Mat
- Plastic Mallet or Hammer
- Leather Hole Punch
- Leather (5-8 oz weight)
- Brass Rivets (#1 size for small tray, #2 size for large tray; 4 for each valet)
- Gather the tools and materials listed above. There are templates for both a large and small valet. Small valet: 9.5 x 7.5″; large valet: 14.75 x 12″.
- Print and cut the small template. Using a utility knife and ruler, cut the leather in a rectangle the size of the template.
- Trace the corner of the template onto each corner of leather rectangle.
- Cut the corners of the leather using scissors and a utility knife. The utility knife is helpful for inner cuts.
- Use the leather punch to create holes for the rivets.
- Push rivet post through the holes, insert caps onto the posts and hammer together.
- Continue on all four corners.
- Repeat this process to create the larger valet.
Follow the photo tutorial below for visual guidance to making a DIY leather valet in either size.
We included templates for two sizes of valet trays – the larger template comes in four pieces, so cut along the indicated lines and tape them together. You can also vary the size pretty easily to customize your own tray. If you are making your own size, just continue using the template for the corners and measure from there. After your finish the valet, you can decorate it by stamping text in the center if you have a letter stamping set. See our stamped coasters for a great example of this! Place a valet in your entryway for your keys and wallet, use it as a leather desk organizer or keep one on your dresser for coins, cuff links and jewelry.
Run With It!
If you’re feeling inspired to explore more leather crafting possibilities, browse our growing collection of leather projects. Find our Father’s Day DIYs for more ideas to make Dad feel special on the occasion, or share your DIY Father’s Day gift ideas with us in the comments below! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for project updates in your news feeds, or visit our membership page to join our crafting community and start empowering your creative side. Until next time! ~ Lia & Team