Parents tend to appreciate handmade gifts from their kids for special occasions. So we came up with this simple and classy DIY craft for Father’s Day. Although younger children would not be able to make this leather valet tray set on their own, this project is totally doable for older adolescents looking to craft. And of course our DIY leather valet tray is not exclusively for Dads — you can easily make these for some beautiful handcrafted home decor or desk organization!
When you’re ready to craft these trays, just follow our tutorial below.
Serving Up Father’s Day Gift Ideas
Below you will find templates to make the two sizes in this leather valet tray set as well as the Father’s Day printable shown in the photo above. The larger template comes in four pieces, so cut along the indicated lines and tape them together. You can also vary the size pretty easily to customize your own tray. If you are making your own size, just continue using the template for the corners and measure from there.
After your finish the valet, you can decorate it by stamping text in the center if you have a letter stamping set. See our stamped coasters for a great example of this! Place a valet in your entryway for your keys and wallet, use it as a leather desk organizer, or keep one on your dresser for coins, cuff links, and jewelry.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Leather (5-8 oz weight)
- Brass Rivets (#1 size for small tray, #2 size for large tray; 4 for each valet)
How to Make a Leather Valet Tray
- Gather the tools and materials listed above. There are templates for both a large and small valet. Small valet: 9.5 x 7.5″; large valet: 14.75 x 12″.
- Print and cut the small template. Using a utility knife and ruler, cut the leather in a rectangle the size of the template.
- Trace the corner of the template onto each corner of leather rectangle.
- Cut the corners of the leather using scissors and a utility knife. The utility knife is helpful for inner cuts.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.