Here is a super easy project to do during a free afternoon. You won’t need any templates or special materials to make DIY trinket dishes, just some clay and some paint. Because the project is so simple, you can even make these with your kids. It’s a great opportunity for them to explore their creativity while you also explore yours. You can customize them with any illustrations or color palettes to match your specific home decor. At the end of the project you will have adorable dishes that are both stylish and functional!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
Tools & Materials
- Small bowl to use as a mold
- Paintbrushes (flat and fine tip)
- Sculpey Clay
- Acrylic Craft Paint (off-white, forest green)
- Krylon Gold Pen
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Form a ball of clay and place inside your bowl. If you are making multiple dishes, form a number of balls that are the same size.
- Press the ball into the bowl to form a dish that is about 1/4″ thick.
- Gently peel ball out of the dish and refine the shape as needed. Bake in your oven according to the package instructions.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here.
You should be able to find all of your materials at your local craft store. We specifically used Sculpey brand clay and a Krylon brand gold pen (find links in Shop this Project!). You can use this technique to create any size of DIY clay dishes, but the bowl we used to mold our dishes was about 4 inches in diameter. After you paint the dishes white, you can really add any painted designs you would like. We love our floral and botanical themes, so our maker Jessica free-handed the tropical leaves. Paint whatever inspires you!
Once you make your DIY trinket dishes, you can use them functionally, decoratively, or both! Create a pretty display for your coffee table or entry way, or use them as clay jewelry dishes. Browse all of our DIY jewelry projects to get you started, or see what other crafts you can make with clay. How are you planning to use these dishes? Let us know in the comments! Head over to our membership page to join our crafty community, and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily inspiration in your feed. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team