Even your furry friends deserve a little costume fun this Halloween season! Transform your canines into mythical creatures with our DIY dragon costume for dogs. We took the look to a whole new level with an impromptu Mother of Dragons costume to honor the ever-popular TV show Game of Thrones — find a wig and drape yourself in gauze for a similar look! A perfect costume ensemble for what is sure to be your most memorable Halloween yet…
Tools & Materials
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Tube Cutter
- Rotary Cutter & Ruler (optional)
- Iron, Ironing Board, & Press Cloth
- Black Felt
- Wire Coat Hanger
- Black Velcro
- Fusible Interfacing – Pellon Craft-Fuse 808
- Stitch Witchery
- Black Marker
- Fabric Pencil/White Crayon
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut out the dragon wings from felt according to the pattern.
- Cut out the fusible interfacing, one layer for each wing, slightly smaller than the felt wings (see pattern). Iron it onto two of the wings, mirrored.
- Cut out your stitch witchery, one layer for each wing, slightly smaller than the felt wings (same as the interfacing). Iron it between the fused wing layer and the top felt piece to adhere together and create a firm, but flexible wing.
- Cut and shape the wire hanger to fit over your pet’s back and form an armature for the wings . You can probably cut the hanger with sharp wire cutters, but we found that a small tube cutter was easier.
- Glue along one end of the wire and attach to one of the finished wings near the top edge.
- Glue the wing vein felt piece on top to cover. Repeat to attach the second wing on the other side. Add some hot glue along the edges if needed. You can trim the edges to make them look more finished, and even use a black marker to cover up any excess glue or interfacing.
- To make the harness: measure your pet around their chest and back — just behind their front legs and around their chest in front. Add 1-2” to the length.
More to Explore
For more DIY pet costume inspiration, browse our website here!
Join us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and sign up for your Lia Griffith membership today! Questions? Feedback? We want to hear from you! Always feel free to reach out. And remember to use #MadeWithLia when sharing photos of your latest projects — your creativity never fails to inspire! Cheers ~ Lia & Team