Do you like to make your own holiday ornaments? With Christmas just 35 days away, now’s a good time to start crafting your decorations! Today we’re sharing an adorable DIY idea for your tree—our embroidered felt bird ornaments. If you need ideas for what to pair these ornaments with, we think they’d look great next to our pretty pink, coral, and maroon felt ornaments.
Three Turtle Doves
Our designer Krista crafted these cute bird ornaments using a few different types of stitches, including lazy daisy, back stitch, french knots, and blanket stitch. If you haven’t done any embroidering before, you may not want to start with this project. This is a good DIY craft for anyone with an intermediate skill level or higher. However, if you’re interested in learning how to embroider, here’s a video tutorial with some tips to get you started!
We’d love to see your version of these embroidered felt bird ornaments once you’ve decorated your tree. Make sure to share them with us by using the hashtag #MadeWithLia on your Instagram pictures. Happy crafting! ~Lia and team
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Embroidery Scissors (recommended)
- Sewing Needle
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Wool Blend Felt — Benzie Design Burgundy, Peony, Silver, and White
- Embroidery Floss —DMC Very Dark Garnet (902), Ultra Light Dusty Rose (963), Christmas Red (321), Cranberry (603), Pearl Gray (415), Snow White (B5200), and Black (310)
How to Make Embroidered Felt Bird Ornaments
- Gather the craft tools and materials listed above. Then download the pattern at the end of the post.
- Cut out felt pieces according to pattern notes, using your scissors or cutting machine.
- Backstitch the stem for the branch onto one of the wings (see embroidery guide on pattern for more details). The colors of the floss shown in the guide are what I used for the burgundy bird.
- Stitch on lazy daisies for the leaves of the branch, careful not to stitch too close to the edge.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
To download our DIY projects and start crafting with us, become a member. Learn more here.