Do you like to make your own holiday ornaments? With Christmas just 35 days away, now’s a good time to start crafting your decorations! Today we’re sharing an adorable DIY idea for your tree—our embroidered felt bird ornaments. If you need ideas for what to pair these ornaments with, we think they’d look great next to our pretty pink, coral, and maroon felt ornaments.
Our designer Krista crafted these cute bird ornaments using a few different types of stitches, including lazy daisy, back stitch, french knots, and blanket stitch. If you haven’t done any embroidering before, you may not want to start with this project. This is a good DIY craft for anyone with an intermediate skill level or higher. However, if you’re interested in learning how to embroider, here’s a video tutorial with some tips to get you started!
We’d love to see your version of these embroidered felt bird ornaments once you’ve decorated your tree. Make sure to share them with us by using the hashtag #MadeWithLia on your Instagram pictures. Happy crafting! ~Lia and team
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Sewing Needle
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Wooden Skewer
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Merlot (formerly Burgundy), Blush (formerly Peony), Dove (formerly Silver), and White
- Embroidery Floss —DMC Very Dark Garnet (902), Ultra Light Dusty Rose (963), Christmas Red (321), Cranberry (603), Pearl Gray (415), Snow White (B5200), and Black (310)
- Stuffie Puff
How to Make Embroidered Felt Bird Ornaments
- Gather the craft tools and materials listed above. Then download the pattern at the end of the post.
- Cut out felt pieces according to pattern notes using your scissors or cutting machine.
- Backstitch the stem for the branch onto one of the wings (see embroidery guide on the pattern for more details). The colors of the floss shown in the guide are what I used for the burgundy bird.
- Stitch on lazy daisies for the leaves of the branch, careful not to stitch too close to the edge.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
For more DIY holiday ideas, follow our social pages! You can find our latest projects on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Or browse our YouTube channel for video tutorials.
To download our DIY projects and start crafting with us, become a member. Learn more here.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
Hi Lia – Just a heads up, all of the links above for the Embroidery Floss go to Amazon.com instead of your store.
Thanks, Dana! We are trying to get everything updated as quickly as we can. We just updated these for you.
[…] We will be making this one next year, just letting my girls stitches improve a bit – https://liagriffith.com/embroidered-felt-bird-ornaments/ […]
[…] three turtle dove ornaments are so lovely. Made of felt and stitched together with embroidery embellishments, these beautiful […]
New member here. I find it disconcerting that the instructions do not indicate HOW MUCH felt is needed for this project. Since you link to a site that sells felt in sheets of various sizes, an indication of how much felt is needed seems like a basic and crucial piece of information. Any reason?
We link to 12×18 inch felt pieces for our projects, you will not need more than one piece per color for most of our projects. If you are making more than one flower, stuffie, ornament etc. you can use our template as a guide to estimate how much felt you may need. 🙂
Where can I find the Felt Embroidered Christmas Tree Letters please.
The felt letters you see on our home page are coming very soon! 🙂
[…] these birds look familiar to you? A couple weeks ago we crafted these Scandi bird ornaments. They’re just so sweet—we couldn’t resist using this design for something else! […]