Growing up in our DIY family, my sisters and I often ended up crafting our own toys. This experience definitely prepared me for DIY toy projects to feature on this site! Felt is one of the best materials to use for making DIY toys. Just browse our collection of adorable felt animal stuffies for further proof! Our reigning Queen of Cute, Krista, is adding to our felt craft collection with this irresistible felt breakfast spread!
The felt breakfast foods include fried eggs, bacon and a stack of pancakes. There are also instructions for blueberries and dollops of whipped cream that you can add to your pancakes. Each of these goodies is handsewn, so the project is a great opportunity to work on your stitching or teach some introductory sewing skills to your little ones. Start by picking out your felt colors for your breakfast foods. We used wool blend from Benzie Design; they have a great collection of colors! For the blueberries, we found the felt balls at our local craft store, but you can also make your own using blue roving wool. Find the rest of the materials in the printable instructions below.
After gathering your materials, download the PDF template below to use as a guide for cutting your felt pieces. Then, follow the step-by-step photo tutorial to craft your felt breakfast. The main secret to making those bacon strips look as realistic as possible is adding a pipe cleaner to the center, which makes it so that you can bend the bacon to resemble the crispiness of the real thing. If you are interested in making more play food to go with your felt breakfast, be sure to check out our felt burger and felt pizza.
After you’ve made your felt breakfast, check out our post on how to make the felt skillet and kitchen utensils in our photos. We have also shared a full tutorial for making your own play kitchen out of basic moving boxes!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Sewing Needle
- Sewing Pins
- Wooden skewer or chopstick (optional, for stuffing)
- Wool Blend Felt — Ecru, Latte, Blue, Golden, Copper, White
- DMC Embroidery Floss — 746 Off-White, 3863 Medium Mocha Beige, 820 Very Dark Royal Blue, 972 Deep Canary, 920 Medium Copper, B5200 White
- Felt Pom-Poms — XS Blue
- Pipe Cleaners
- 1. Gather tools and materials and print out pattern.
- Cut felt and batting according to pattern.
- Applique stitch the Latte tops of the pancakes onto the Ecru bottom pieces with a single strand of tan embroidery floss.
- Stack the pancake top and bottom with the batting layer(s) in the middle. Blanket stitch around the outside with a strand of ivory embroidery floss.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
I have to say, I am feeling particularly proud of the designers and makers that were behind these projects, they totally knocked this felt breakfast out of the park! Head to our membership page to start downloading, or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily helpings of crafting inspiration. Yes, please! ~ Lia & Team