Let your imagination fly high with this DIY felt butterflies. We decided to make our butterflies with blue felt. Blue butterflies are thought to be a symbol of joy and luck – share some good fortune with your family and friends! Add them to a wreath or atop a present, or even turn them into charms for a baby mobile. These soft felt butterflies are fun for everyone. Print out our simple instructions and templates, and get crafting with our quick and easy-to-follow tutorial. Boundless butterfly bliss awaits you!
Tools & Materials
- Craft Scissors
- Felting Needle
- Embroidery Needle
- Craft or Fabric Glue
- Lia Griffith Felt – Lapis and Tidepool
- Ashford Corridale Wool – Bubblegum
- 24 Gauge Wire
- Embroidery Floss – Sky Blue (519)
- 1 White Flower Stamen (pip)
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut the felt according to the template. Pin before cutting for a symmetrical butterfly.
- Cut all of the pieces and mark the holes for French knots, using the template as a visual guide.
- Sew French knots following the tutorial on the site.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
Have even more fun with felt animals! Lots of project ideas for crafters of all ages!
Look us up on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter or become a Lia Griffith member to start crafting with us. We love your feedback – always feel free to send us your questions and commentary. And remember to use #LoveLia when sharing photos of your final projects – it’s fun for us to see your creativity in action! Happy Crafting ~Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.