We have made quite a few different cosmos flowers over the years but have only made this variety of cosmos out of crepe paper. So we’re excited to bring you a new felt version of this flower for our October collection! These felt chocolate cosmos flowers fall somewhere between a beginner and intermediate project — just follow our tutorial below and be sure to reach out if you have any questions.
If you’re looking for an even simpler version of this flower, you could always start out with our felt cosmos first before trying to make this chocolate cosmos.
We love these cosmos a choco-lot
Chocolate cosmos are a particular species of cosmos native to Mexico that ranges from a dark maroon color to almost black, and they smell like chocolate! Of course our felt chocolate cosmos don’t smell like anything, but the upside is that they will last forever. To make these felt flowers come to life, our designer Krista used our new felt color Cranberry and colored the pieces with a grey art marker to create some details on the petals.
Crafting Tip: These felt chocolate cosmos flowers are easy to cut by hand. But if you want to save some time, a Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 will make it faster for you to fill out a whole bouquet.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Cranberry, Merlot, and Eucalyptus
- Wool Ball (any color) or Lia Griffith 15 mm Cotton Spun Paper Balls
- Green Paper-Covered Wire — 18-Gauge and 24-Gauge
- Lia Griffith Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Art Marker — Cool Gray
- Aleene’s Stiffen-Quick Fabric Stiffening Spray
- Clear Fixative Spray
How to Make Felt Chocolate Cosmos
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the flower pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker (optional) or scissors. Note: Using micro-tip scissors with a spring will help spare your hands when cutting a lot of fringe.
- Shade the petals with a grey art marker (or marker that is a shade darker from the felt color), about halfway up from the bottom.
- Draw thin lines with your marker, extending up to the top ruffled edge.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
When you’re done crafting your felt chocolate cosmos flowers, share them with us by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram or posting them to our Facebook page for members. You can also see our collection of felt flowers for more ideas on what to make. Or explore all of our felt craft projects.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.