Our felt countdown to Halloween was so popular that we decided we needed to have one for Christmas, too! Plus we usually like to create our own advent calendars. Inspired by European row houses decorated for the holidays, our designer Krista came up with this felt Christmas countdown that features festive details, numbered windows (including the last door), and pockets for treats.
Ready to get started? Everything you need is listed below and you can find the pattern and tutorial at the end of the post. Make sure to also read our crafting tips!
Felt the Magic
One of the best things about Christmas crafting is creating your own holiday magic and fun. This felt Christmas countdown would look so pretty hanging up in your home. Plus, it’s something you can keep for years to come and always look forward to.
Because there are a lot of little bits and pieces, this is more of an intermediate felt project. You can either use a sewing machine to attach all the pockets, or you can sew by hand. Our tutorial will also show you how to make looks on the backside of your felt Christmas countdown so you can hang it on your wall with a wood dowel.
Crafting tips: Make sure to tile together the PDF paper pattern because of the size of the bigger pieces, but the smaller felt details can be cut with a Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4. Note: The PDF has placement guidelines for all of the details. Additionally, there are optimized SVGs for the iron-on designs to fit on a 12″x12″ cutting mat and save material, but there is also another file with them all in the same place.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Craft Scissors
- Sewing Machine or Sewing Needle
- Straight Pins
- Pen or Pencil
- Iron, Ironing Board, and Press Cloth
- Wool Felt — Lia Griffith Wild Currant, Cranberry (x2), Plum, Dewy, Night, Fern, and Antique
- Iron-On Vinyl — Siser Easyweed Bright Red, Burgundy, Olive, Dark Green, Navy Blue, Powder Blue, Vegas Gold, Light Pink, and White (x2)
- Sewing Thread
- Clear Tape
- Wood Dowel — 3/8″ x 36″
- Extra Firm Fusible Interfacing — Heat N Bond
- Small Command Hooks (for hanging your countdown)
How to Make a Felt Christmas Countdown
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Print and cut out the PDF pattern, taping the oversized pieces together where indicated.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker (for the windows, doors, steps, etc. only) or scissors. Keep the paper patterns on hand to use as a guide for placement later. The blue dotted lines indicate where pieces will overlap and be placed, and the grey lines indicate the placement of the felt and iron-on designs.
- Cut out the iron-on designs using a cutting machine (remember to mirror the designs before cutting!). There is an optimized SVG file grouped by color to fit on a 12”x12” mat, as well as a file with everything together to organize and cut how you want(if preferred). Weed out the vinyl designs, but keep them together on the sticky backer sheets until you need them.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.