One of the simplest ways to decorate for any holiday is with a DIY garland. For Christmas, we like to make festive garlands out of paper and felt that you can use to decorate your banister, hang from a mantel, or wrap around your tree. This year, Krista has designed a super cute felt Christmas light garland that is easy to make and can be hung wherever you’d like.
The felt pattern is an easy one to cut by hand, or you can always use your Maker or Cameo 4. Just download our template and tutorial to start crafting!
Twinkly Lights, That’s What Makes Christmas Bright
Our felt Christmas light garland has a classic-retro look that we love with iron-on letters spelling out “Be Merry & Bright.” This part is optional, of course. If you do add it, you can always flip it over if one year you want to switch things up and have the blank side showing instead.
We styled this garland with some winter greenery on a mantel along with our white felt wreath. We’d love to see your version of this project and how you decorate with it, so be sure to share photos on our Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Beginner. If you need more guidance on how to do a blanket stitch, check out our embroidery guide.
Crafting tip: You can opt for a no-sew version with no stuffing if you want, in whatever colors to match your holiday decor.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Iron, Ironing Board, and Press Cloth
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Ruby, Cherry, Rose Quartz, Mustard, Kelp, Malachite, and White.
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Christmas Red (321), Bright Christmas Red (666), Very Light Shell Pink (224), Very Dark Straw (3852), Dark Celadon Green (3815), and Very Dark Gray Green (924)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- White Iron-On Vinyl – Siser Easyweed White
- Chunky White Yarn
- Tacky Glue
How to Make a Felt Christmas Light Garland
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors. The amounts shown in the PDF are to make a garland just like ours, but you could use whatever colors you would like.
- Cut out the iron-on designs using a cutting machine (remember to mirror the designs before cutting!). Weed out the vinyl design.
- Cut out the vinyl letters and center them on a felt bulb piece (see PDF template for bulb color order). Iron them on using a higher temperature and no steam (following product directions). Note: when applying the iron-on, always use a press cloth between the iron and the design to avoid burning the felt and melting the vinyl. When the project has cooled, carefully peel off the plastic backer pieces. Repeat to iron on all of the letters.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
If you love the retro look of this felt ornament garland, check out our retro gift wrap, 3D paper ornaments, and gift toppers. Or you can always explore all of our Christmas crafts for more DIY ideas.