Some of you may remember our sitting dog stuffie from a few years back. Since then, Krista has been taking all of our felt animals to the next level and making them look a lot more realistic. So today we are showing you how to make a felt dog that can stand on all fours!
Typically our standing stuffies are more of an intermediate project. But since this one doesn’t have as many pieces involved or complex details, we would say it falls somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate skill level.
This DIY project would make an adorable gift for any dog lover. Or you can craft it as a toy for little ones or use it as nursery decor. To give this stuffie an extra layer of cute, Krista also added an embroidered floral bandana.
Ready to start crafting? Everything you need is linked below, and you can find our pattern and tutorial at the end of the post. Be sure to share photos of your felt dog when you’re done by tagging #MadeWithLia or posting to our private Facebook page.
Skill level: Beginner-intermediate
Crafting tips: Our tutorial shows how to make what looks like a mixed-breed dog with floppy ears, but you can easily swap out the colors to make a black lab, Dalmatian, or other type of dog. The template also includes a different set of ears if you want to create a pointy-eared dog instead.
Stitches used: Blanket stitch, whip stitch, straight stitch, and French knots. Need some help with these stitches? Check out our embroidery guide.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Camel, Hazelnut, Bark Brown, Cotton, Tidepool, Bluebell, and Ochre
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Tan(436), Ultra Very Light Mocha Beige (3866), Black (310), Dark Delft Blue (798), Ultra Very Light Dusty Rose (963), and Medium Yellow (743)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Black Safety Eyes — 5mm
- Tacky Glue
How to Make a Felt Dog
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the dog pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors.
- Sew the legs to the underside piece using 2 strands of tan embroidery floss and a whip stitch, working from what will be the inside of the legs. Match and follow the curve of the leg openings, and ensure that the legs are facing the right way.
- Repeat for all of the legs.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love this project? Browse of our felt stuffies for more patterns and tutorials.