Dogwood branches make such pretty home decor. Since we have crafted a few dogwood branches out of paper already, we wanted to try making a felt version. So we turned to our felt flower expert, Krista! She designed these felt dogwood branches for us, and today we are sharing the simple tutorial with you so you can craft them on your own.
These felt dogwood branches are great for crafters of all skill levels. So if you are are a beginner (or you’re new to working with felt), we think you will find these flowers easy to make.
Whenever we share a felt flower or another type of felt craft, we always recommend choosing a high-quality felt. This will make a difference in how your felt project looks and how well it holds up over time. In our materials list below, you will see that we chose three colors for our felt dogwood branches — one for the flowers, one for the centers, and one for the leaves.
Although they can vary in color, dogwood blooms are typically white with tinges of pink and brown on the edges. To recreate this, we used a pink art marker and a brown colored pencil to add some slight color to our blooms. We also used a chartreuse-colored pencil to add some dimension to the felt leaves.
When making any kind of branch decor, we sometimes use real branches and we sometimes craft our own branches. For our felt dogwood branches today, we used natural floral wire. You will see in the photo tutorial how to twist them together to form sturdy branches for your blooms.
Have questions? Just let us know! If you end up making these felt dogwood branches, let us know how it went and what you thought of this project. And don’t forget to tag your felt flowers using #MadeWithLia!
Skill level: Beginner
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt –White, Fern, and Juniper
- Art Marker — Tombow Blush (772)
- Colored Pencils — Prismacolor Chartreuse and Sienna Brown
- Natural Vine Wire
How to Make Felt Dogwood Branches
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then, download the flower pattern at the end of the post.
- Cut out your felt according to the flower pattern, using scissors or a Cricut Maker.
- Color the dips on the petals with a blush pink art marker and then just along the edge with a brown colored pencil or marker on both sides. Press out any excess ink onto a scrap piece of paper.
- Stretch the petals into a slightly cupped shape, almost like you would when working with crepe paper.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.