We’re giving a little update to the classic children’s song – Old McDonald got tired from maintaining a real farm, so he decided to make a felt version instead! Our felt farm play set comes with templates to make a whole array of farm animals, plus a seriously impressive red barn. Add a handmade fence made out of dowels to complete your farm scene, and you have a gorgeous DIY toy that your little ones can appreciate for years to come.
Tools & Materials
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Detail Knife
- Iron and Pressing Cloth
- Wool/Wool Blend Felt
- Iron-On Adhesive/Fusible Bonding
- Gather tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template below and cut felt pieces according to the pattern.
- Using iron-on adhesive, iron together three layers of red felt create the walls of the barn (see Tips section for alternatives).
- Adhere roof panels onto roof base using iron-on adhesive, making sure to evenly space the panels.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
Because we were using 1mm felt, we used three layers and fused them with sheets of Stitch Witchery. As an alternative, you can also use thicker 3mm felt and avoid using fusible bonding all together. We did not use hot glue to assemble the barn so that we could keep the barn collapsible. If you want to add some detailing to the felt farm animals, simply use a permanent fabric marker. To make a little fence for our farm scene, we trimmed pieces of wooden dowels and glued them together. It was super easy and added a nice touch to our set-up!
More Crafty Inspiration
If you want to continue with a farm animal theme, be sure to check out our needled felted sheep or chicks. Head to our membership page to start crafting with us, or tell us your project suggestions in the comments below. Enjoy your felt farm! Luckily there is not maintenance required here 😉 ~ Lia & Team