After showing you our peach farm bunny felt playmat, we got quite a few requests for other kinds of designs. One request was an under the sea theme. So Emily decided to create a felt merfolk playmat featuring an ocean scene with fish, starfish, shells, large rocks, and a magical forest.
This is a very simple craft project to make and so fun for pretend play! Just cut out your felt pieces using our template or SVG file, then follow our four instructions below.
A mermaid-sing craft
Our felt merfolk playmat fits in perfectly with this month’s craft collection theme of fairy tale and folklore. According to European folklore, mermaids and mermen were natural beings who had magical and prophetic powers. They also enjoyed music and liked to sing.
Using our pattern below, you can create as many underwater creatures and color combinations as you would like for your felt merfolk playmat. This way, kids can mix and match the pieces, resulting in lots of imaginative play. You can also involve your little one in the creative process by asking them what colors of felt they want for the fish, shells, merfolk, and so on.
Skill level: Beginner
Crafting tip: Though you could cut your felt pieces by hand with detail scissors, you may find it easier to use a Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 for the tiny, intricate cuts that are close together.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Detail Scissors (if cutting by hand)
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- StarCraft Heat Press, Cricut EasyPress, or Iron
- Lia Griffith Wool Blend Felt — Arctic, Lagoon, Periwinkle, Tidepool, Peacock, Sunshine, Buttercup, Tangerine, Lime, Magical Forest, Marble, Stone, Cream, Camel, and Almond
- Thick Felt Mat or Cardboard 12in x 18in
- Heat N Bond Fusible Interfacing
- Black Heat Transfer Vinyl or Black Paint Pen
How to Make a Felt Merfolk Playmat
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Using a Cricut Maker (recommended) or scissors, cut out felt according to the pattern.
- Cut a piece of Fusible Interface and iron on the Arctic felt to mat to add stability.
- Glue merfolk pieces together or keep them separate for mix and match.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.