Monsteras are a popular tropical house plant known for their large, deep green leaves and holes that appear naturally in mature leaves. This is why its nickname is the “Swiss cheese plant.” Since we already have this paper version, our designer Krista decided to make a felt monstera plant for our May collection.
This is a beginner-friendly project and one we actually recommend cutting by hand. However, you can always use your Maker or Cameo 4 if you prefer to use your machine to cut felt.
Our felt monstera plant is a great way to bring some tropical greenery into your home — and enjoy it year-round if you like! Simply place your stems together into a pot with some filler paper and stones. Or add a few stems to a vase. Another fun idea is to use them in an arrangement with some of our felt tropical flowers, like this felt tropical bouquet.
Whatever you decide to do with your monstera stems, they will be easy to arrange and shape since each leaf is wired. Our tutorial also shows you how to make an unfurling new leaf and draw veins on to make your felt monstera plant look more realistic.
Skill level: Beginner-friendly
Crafting tip: To make our potted plant, we placed five stems together in a pot, filled it with crumpled kraft paper, and added some small stones on top.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt —Pine and Juniper
- Thick Paper-Covered Stem Wire
- 18-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- Green Colored Pencil — Prismacolor Chartreuse
- Blick Studio Art Marker — Dark Green (049)
- Aleene’s Stiffen-Quick Fabric Stiffening Spray
- Pot, Kraft Paper, Stones (for potting)
How to Make a Felt Monstera Plant
- Gather tools and materials. Then download our monstera pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine (optional) or scissors.
- Glue an 18-gauge floral wire to the center of a monstera leaf, about 2/3 of the way up.
- Apply another thin line of hot glue all the way up the middle on top of the wire. Fold the leaf in half, pinching along the fold.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.