We love coming up with simple no-sew costumes you can make for Halloween. Last month Meagan designed wearable felt wings — perfect for a butterfly or fairy costume. And now this month she has created a pattern and tutorial to help you make this beautiful felt owl costume.
Because there are quite a few pieces to cut, we used our Cricut Maker to speed up the process. However, you’re always welcome to cut by hand!
Create an owlsome costume
When it comes to DIY costumes for Halloween, we’re all about the accessories. This way you don’t need to sew an entire outfit. Plus they’re also easier to hold onto and store if you want to wear them again. As you can see from our photos, our felt owl costume is actually just a mask, cuffs, and wings. But when you put all of these feathery details together, they make for one stunning costume!
Skill level: Beginner
Crafting tip: Attach the shoulder feathers using safety pins. Note: This pattern is designed to create a felt owl costume for adults, so make sure to re-size it if you want to craft a kid’s version.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Wool Blend Felt — White, Cotton, Doe Brown, Hazelnut, and Chocolate
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- 3/8″ Braided Elastic
- Safety Pins
- White Cape or T-Shirt
How to Make a Felt Owl Costume
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut felt according to template using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Beginning with the doe brown head feathers, glue one strip to the top of the owl face mask.
- Glue a strip of white head feathers centered just below the doe brown.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.