Meet Ollie. Ollie is an impossibly cute owl stuffie made from gorgeous wool felts and a little hand stitching. And with our downloadable pattern and tutorial below, you can make your own felt owl! We love love love owls at Lia Griffith HQ. In fact, you may have seen our west elm owl mugs pop up in lots of our photographs. Also, we have a couple gorgeous owl ceramics and have made cork owls, pinecone owls, and owl artwork over the years. But Ollie the owl’s cuteness factor is off the charts.
Hooo’s the Cutest?
To make your own felt owl stuffie, start by downloading the pattern below and cutting the templates into soft wool felt. The only stitching skills you need are a running stitch and blanket stitch. Therefore, this pattern makes a great project for a child or a beginner. Once all your pieces are cut, you can follow the tutorial below to assemble the little guy.
If you craft this felt owl, let us know how it went! And make sure to share your pics with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and use the hashtag #MadeWithLia. We love to see what you’re up to and we will always share our faves! Enjoy! ~ Lia and team
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Sewing Needle
- Wool Blend Felt — Benzie Design Lucky Penny (this color has been discontinued, but you could use Copper instead), Seaside, Graphite, Smoke, Silver, White, and Black
- Embroidery Floss — DMC White, Dark Pewter Gray (413), Very Light Pewter (168), Medium Mahogany (301), and Light Tawny (951)
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut felt according to the pattern below.
- Glue eyes in place and straight stitch on the outer eyes in matching embroidery floss.
- Layer the feathers on the front and add dots of hot glue to hold in place.
- Straight stitch the beak on with matching floss. Then straight stitch the top layer of feathers in matching floss.
- Straight stitch line details onto 2 of the wings, mirrored.
- Glue just the top of the wings to the front of the body.
- Blanket stitch the 2 body pieces together using white embroidery floss, leaving the bottom open to stuff.
- Blanket stitch both of the feet together using matching floss and stuff before closing.
- Gently stuff the owl body with poly-fill.
- Finish blanket stitching the bottom closed and glue on the feet.
- Glue on the layers of feathers on the backside (same as the front).
- To hide stitching, glue the slightly smaller wing pieces to the underside of the wings.
- Add additional glue to keep wings in place if needed.
Make More Cute Stuffies
Love making stuffies? You can find more felt animals here. You’ll also find new DIY ideas every day on our Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube pages. So make sure to follow us on your favorite social platform!
If you want to craft this cute felt owl and other animal friends, membership may be the right option for you. This includes printable patterns, SVG files, simple tutorials, and more. Head on over to our membership page now to see our two membership options and the full list of membership perks!