We love to make tulips every spring, and this year is no exception! Inspired by the parrot tulips we made for our crepe paper flower master class, our designer Krista decided to craft some felt parrot tulips for our March collection.
Everything we used for this project is linked below, and you can find the template and tutorial at the end of the post. Make sure to also check out our crafting tips right above the tools and materials list.
Orange you glad we made these?
Our felt parrot tulips are made up of wired petals that are ruffled by hand and colored with a combination of colored pencil and PanPastel to create an ombre of pink and orange. Of course you can always use whatever felt colors you prefer and play around with how you color your flowers. But we think these color combos are perfect for springtime!
If you decide to pot these felt parrot tulips, make sure your floral foam is wedged well in the pot since felt flowers can get top heavy. Then you can poke your stems into the floral foam like you would with your crepe paper flowers. We would love to see what you do with these tulips, so make sure to share your version in our private Facebook page or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Intermediate. (If you’re a beginner, check out these felt tulips first!)
Crafting tips: Ruffle the edges of the petals after assembling to recreate that feathery parrot tulip look. You can also spray your felt parrot tulips with a clear fixative spray to preserve the color and give a light hold to the shape. Remember to wash your hands! Pastels can be messy and get everywhere until you seal it with a spray.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Salmon, Ochre, Fern, and Peat Moss
- White Paper Covered Wire — 24-Gauge
- Green Paper-Covered Wire —24-Gauge
- Paper Covered Floral Wire or Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Green Art Marker — Blick Studio Brush Marker Olive (070)
- Yellow Colored Pencil — Prismacolor Canary Yellow
- PanPastel Lia Griffith Designer Set — Pearlescent Red
- Clear Fixative Spray
- Floral Foam, Moss, and Pot (if potting your flowers)
How to Make Felt Parrot Tulips
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the tulip flower pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker (optional) or scissors.
- Cut the full petals in half (if you have not already) and glue a white 24-gauge wire close to the straight edge of the petal. We used white wire for this because lighter color felt is a bit see-through.
- Glue the other half on top to cover the wire. Glue down all the edges, on both sides of the petal, and round the tip of the petal with scissors if needed.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Browse our collection of felt flowers for more ideas on what to make. Or explore all of our felt craft projects. For more craft ideas and inspiration, join us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube.