What better way to start a summer bouquet than with proteas? And by making it with felt, you make sure it doesn’t ever wilt on you! Our felt proteas are beautiful, wonderfully detailed, and actually really easy to create.
Simply gather the tools and materials, then download the SVG or PDF patterns below. Follow step-by-step with our downloadable instructions or our photo tutorial below!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Click here for more information.
- Felt on the Fly – “Light Pink,” “White,” & “Olive”
- PanPastel – “Pearlescent Red”
- Wooden Skewer or Dowel
- Tombow 977 Brown Art Marker
- 2.5” Foam Ball
- Krylon Matte Finish Spray
- If you haven’t already, become a Lia Griffith Annual Member. This gives you access to unlimited SVG downloads!
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut out felt according to pattern.
- Color wooden skewer or dowel with a brown marker.
- Glue and stick end of skewer into the center of a 2.5” foam ball.
- Starting from the base near skewer, glue 2 of the bigger center pieces on opposite sides, slightly overlapped on top.
- Glue on the other 2 big center pieces, with them meeting at a point at the top. Glue down the edges as best as you can.
- Next, glue on 4 of the skinny center pieces to cover the gaps, meeting at the point at the top. Leave the tips unglued.
- Continue gluing on all 20 skinny pieces, moving downward in placement with each layer.
- Apply pink pastel with a sponge to the tips and edges of the protea petals, both sides, blending inward.
- Glue on 5 bigger petals, evenly spaced, meeting at the base near the skewer.
- Glue on the last 5 to cover the gaps.
- Lastly, glue the 5 smallest petals on.
- Glue the 3 smallest leaves just under the flower, with the bigger 2 leaves glued about an inch below.
- Spray with a matte fixative spray. You can gently shape the petals and leaves before completely dried.
Make All the Flowers!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with the LGM community by using #MadeWithLia — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy crafting! ~ Lia and Team