We’ve got a new felt animal for you to make this month! Since the temperature is dropping outside, we thought a winter-hardy bird would be a great addition to this month’s collection. Plus it is one of Krista’s favorite birds. This particular felt quail is a male quail with his handsome head feather plume.
To get started, check out our supplies list in the right panel. Then download the pattern and tutorial.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
You can tuck this felt quail into your holiday tree, or place it on your mantel with our crepe paper pine cone branches. Some pops of red from our felt pomegranates would also be really pretty. In addition to using this stuffie as winter decor, you can craft it as a gift for kids or any bird lover!
Skill level: Intermediate.
Stitches used: Blanket, whip, detached chain, and feather stitch.
Crafting tip: For an easier version, you can skip the decorative embroidery.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
How to Make a Felt Quail Stuffie
- Gather your tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to template using scissors or a cutting machine with a rotary blade.
- Match up the edges and whip stitch on the body details to the main body using 1 strand of floss to match each color of felt.
- Flip the body piece over and trim off the excess felt from near the body’s outer edges, leaving enough of an overlap by the stitches. This is to prevent bulk when sewing up the seams later.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith Wool Blend Felt — Cloudy Day, Almond, Hazelnut, White, and Black
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Pewter Gray (317), Light Mocha Beige (3864), Light Brown (434), Snow White (B5200) and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Black Safety Eyes — 6mm
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member