Another member request — this time for more arctic animals! Designed by Krista, this felt seal stuffie is a beginner-friendly project that doesn’t require too many pieces of felt to craft.
As with all of our felt animal stuffies, we recommend using detail scissors for a more precise cut. Or you can use your Maker or Cameo 4 with our SVG file.
Seal the Deal
Ready to start crafting? Our felt seal stuffie would make the perfect holiday toy. Or you could use it to create an arctic-themed winter scene — along with our needle-felted penguins and felt polar bear. Our pattern below includes two sizes so you can make a marbled mama harper seal with dark grey spots and her little white pup with whiskers.
Of course you can always choose whatever felt colors you like for your seal stuffies. We just recommend using a high-quality felt so your handmade projects will hold up over time!
Skill level: Beginner
Stitches used: Blanket, straight, whip stitch, and double-running stitch. For step-by-step tutorials on these stitches, check out our embroidery guide.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Marble, Slate, White, and Black
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Snow White (B5200), Pearl Grey (415), Dark Pewter Grey (413), and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Black Safety Eyes — 5mm and 6mm
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Tacky Glue
How to Make a Felt Seal Stuffie
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors. There are 2 patterns, one for the big seal and one for the seal pup.
- Match up the side pieces of the seal and pin together. Start to blanket stitch using 2 strands of matching embroidery floss, starting at the back flipper where indicated in the PDF pattern (the yellow dot) and in photo tutorial.
- Match up the forehead piece where indicated (the green dot in the PDF) at the back and continue to blanket stitch, attaching it to one side of the body.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love working with felt? Check out all of our felt crafts here. Or find more felt animal stuffies you can make. We love seeing what you choose to craft, so make sure to share photos with us on our Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram.