It’s been a while since we’ve made an adorable felt animal! I think the last one was our felt giraffe. Today’s DIY project is a felt squirrel stuffie, crafted by our designer Krista. And as you can see, she made sure this little guy is fully prepared for winter.
This is an intermediate-level felt project. So if you’ve made some of our other felt animals, you can add this felt squirrel stuffie to your collection! This is also a good project if you want to practice more embroidery details. Remember, it doesn’t have to be perfect! It’s all about what you learn along the way. Also, the more you practice, the more you’ll improve.
If you don’t think you’re ready to make this felt squirrel stuffie quite yet, we have some other felt animals you can try crafting instead. Our owl stuffie is a great one for beginners! Or you can always try out needle felting instead. We’ve crafted a bunch of needle-felted animals, including this cute fox.
Ok, so moving on…! If you want to make this felt squirrel stuffie, we’ve listed the tools and materials we used here. You will also need our pattern and embroidery guide, which you can download below. Then just follow the tutorial!
If you have any questions about this project, feel free to reach out. You can also share your progress—or your finished project—with us by emailing photos to email@example.com, posting photos on our Facebook Member Make page, or sharing on your Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia. In the meantime, happy crafting, friends! ~Lia and team
Crafting Tip: New to crafting felt animal stuffies and want to learn more? Take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Stuffing Tool
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Hazelnut, Peat Moss, Terracotta, Almond, White, and Merlot
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Brown (434), Medium Mahogany (301), Light Mocha Beige (3864), Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), and White (B5200)
- Safety Eyes x2 — 10mm
How to Make a Felt Squirrel Stuffie
- Gather the tools and materials above. Then download the pattern at the end of this post.
- Cut out your felt pieces according to the pattern, using either a Cricut Maker or your scissors.
- Whip stitch on the eye and belly fur pieces using one strand of matching embroidery floss (see embroidery guide).
- Straight stitch on the nose and mouth in dark brown embroidery floss.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Want more DIY ideas? Make sure to follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram for daily inspiration. You can also browse our video tutorials on making paper flowers, felt projects, and more. To start crafting with us today, sign up for your own membership!
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
This was fun to make, but just an FYI: the SVG only cuts one half of the squirrel body.
Thanks for letting us know, we have updated the SVG to include 2 pieces for the front and back.