When you think of decorating with stars for the Christmas season, the first thing that comes to mind is usually star tree toppers. But we like to decorate with them in other ways, too, like when we made these 3D paper stars or these cotton spun ball star ornaments. So far this year we have made a six-point star wreath out of frosted paper. And now we have these felt star ornaments that Krista designed!
Though it can be a little time-consuming to make a bunch of them, it’s easy since you only need to sew together two pieces of felt.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
One fun thing about these felt star ornaments is that you can craft a bunch to fill out your holiday tree or garland. Or, you can use them as gift toppers in whatever felt colors you would like. We love being able to use our DIY crafts in multiple ways, and we can’t wait to see what you do with them!
Stitches used: Whip stitch and blanket stitch. Need more guidance? Check out our embroidery guide for tutorials.
How to Make Felt Star Ornaments
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download your star pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors.
- Draw guidelines in pencil to each star point from the center, as shown on the template.
- From the right side, fold in half along a pencil line and pin to hold. Whip stitch along the edge starting at the tip going to the center, using 2 strands of white floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — White
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Snow White (B5200)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Small Wood Beads — 8mm
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member