In the last few years, flower crowns have become a popular accessory to wear for weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, and other special events. While they look beautiful, the flowers can wilt quickly and not last too long out of water — especially if it is a hot day! This is one of the reasons we love to use paper flowers for our head wreaths. Today’s gorgeous DIY flower crown features crepe paper woolly sunflowers that I designed and added to a natural vine wrapped wire.
Just download the flower template below and follow my photo tutorial to make your own flower crown! It is really quite simple to craft, and the end result will be striking.
You Look Radiant!
Fun fact — the woolly sunflower is also known as Oregon Sunshine. So for our crepe paper woolly sunflowers, I chose a vibrant golden yellow. This color is perfect for summer weddings and other celebrations where you want to stand out. I could also see it working for an outdoor wedding in the fall or springtime. If you’re getting married during winter, I think our crepe paper evergreen wreath would make a gorgeous flower crown.
In addition to using these crepe paper woolly sunflowers for your flower crown, you could also craft them to use as table decor or as cake decor. Another option for your cake is to make these pretty floral cake toppers.
If you have any questions while crafting, let us know! We would love to see your paper flower crown (or if you use these flowers for something else). So be sure to tag your pictures on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #MadeWithLia. Enjoy!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Cricut Maker
- High-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Pinking Shears
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper – Nectarine
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper – Green Tea & Cypress
- Vine Wire – Brown
- 24-Gauge Green Paper Covered Wire
- Art Markers — Y15 Cadmium Yellow, Y38 Honey
How to Make Crepe Paper Woolly Sunflowers for Your Flower Crown
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the flower pattern at the end of the post.
- Stretch a piece of crepe paper 250% and press flat. Cut eight petals for each sunflower for your crown.
- With your yellow marker, slightly darker the crepe paper; color top edge of each petal, blending toward center.
- Cut two centers with the grain vertical on the short side. Use pinking shears on top edge, and then re-cut with pinking shears to create a small jagged edge.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
For more flower crown ideas, check out our crepe paper garden flower head wreath and our boho flower crown. If you are looking for ideas for your own wedding, be sure to browse through our DIY wedding decor as well as our paper flower bouquets.
To download this paper flower pattern and get instant access to thousands of DIY projects plus a private Facebook group full of all levels of crafters, join our crafting community!
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.