In keeping with this collection’s French Riviera theme, today, we’re showing you how to make this vibrant Crepe Paper Bougainvillea Flower for the August Member Make. This project is a challenging accompaniment to our earlier felt version and should be an exciting undertaking for our intermediate crafters looking to move up a skill level.
Members can join us live on August 18, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. PST or you can watch the video playback right here later.
The Bold and the Beautiful
Bougainvillea flowers are a symbol of passion and beauty. With their gorgeous shades of pink and red — it’s not difficult to see why. Bougainvillea produce tiny white flowers which are surrounded by waxy, brightly colored leaves called bracts. So, believe it or not, those breathtaking shades of pink and purple that you see on this bougainvillea aren’t pretty petals — they’re leaves!
The white flowers of the Bougainvillea are very small, so your needle-nose tweezers will definitely come in handy when making this flower. Don’t be intimidated by the more technical aspects of this project — we’ll be right there crafting along with you. Our video tutorial will show you how to use your curling tool and steel ball shaping tool to make the distinctive pink leaves of your bougainvillea ultra-realistic.
Once complete, you’ll have a lovely bouquet to brighten up your space and bring a touch of French culture into your home. Share your crafting success with us in our crafting community or on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
Skill Level: Advanced
- Kai 8″ Scissors
- Kai 5″ Detail Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Needle-Nose Tweezers
- Curling Tool
- Steel Ball Shaping Tool
- Member Make Bundle (includes the paper, floral tape and wire below)
— OR —
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper – Fuschia and Raspberry Azalea
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Linen and Juniper
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper – Fern & Moss
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.