This Flower Floats Our Boat
For our July Member Make, we are going to craft our first-ever crepe paper water lily! It seemed fitting since water lilies are July’s birth flower (along with larkspur). Plus it’s always fun to make a new flower!
As usual, I’m going live at 11 a.m. PT today to show you how to craft this pretty flower. These craft challenges are something we do every month and they’re one of the benefits of being a member. So if you want to join us, make sure to sign up for your own crafting membership. We offer two options, but the annual membership is our best value!
Ready to get started? Everything you’ll need for this crepe paper water lily is listed below!
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Although we have made a few varieties of lilies before, this is our first water lily. We are super excited to share a new flower design with you today and show you how to make your own crepe paper water lily. Of course, we will also show you how to make the lily pad to go with your flower.
In our materials list below, you will see that we chose three different shades of extra-fine crepe paper for the petals. In addition to crepe paper, we also used text weight paper to give the center of the flower some more structure. And finally, we used double-sided crepe paper for the lily pad. You can make your crepe paper water lily using the same materials, or you can experiment with different colors and different types of paper.
We can’t wait to see your versions and how you style your flowers! We made a few of them and styled them with some candles since water lilies are typically used to create a sense of tranquility and relaxation. Another fun idea is to use your crepe paper water lily as a pretty table setting for a bridal shower, baby shower, or wedding.
If you haven’t participated in one of our Member Make challenges before, make sure to read the section below. Otherwise, you can skip on down to the tools and materials list. If you have everything you need already, you can prep before we start our live workshop today at 11 a.m. PST. Hope to see you there! ~ Lia and team
How to Join Our July Member Make Challenge
- Become a member. And make sure to join our Facebook page for members!
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need for these crepe paper water lilies—listed below. Then download our flower pattern at the end of this post. If you are using a Cricut Maker, you can use the flower SVG file.
- Tune in today at 11:00 a.m. PST to craft with me live! You can find the link to the YouTube Live tutorial on the Facebook page for members and in your inbox. It will also be available for playback here once the live workshop is over.
- Watch our flower video tutorial to craft along with me and create your own version of this paper water lily. You can use different colors of paper, materials, or techniques; make just one bloom or a whole bunch of them; use them in another craft project; and so on.
- Reach out to me and others in our crafting community if you need some support! You can post progress pictures or ask questions on our Facebook page for members. And make sure to use the hashtag #MemberMake on Instagram and Facebook so it’s easy to find.
- Share your finished crepe paper water lilies with us by the end of the month to be entered in our giveaway. Make sure to post your pictures on our Facebook page for members or on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MemberMake. And feel free to say something about your flower-making experience!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Secret Garden: Coral, Blush, and Linen
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Ferns & Moss
- Text Weight Paper PopTone Lemon Drop
- White Paint Pen
- Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
- Mod Podge
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member