Craftin’ on Sunshine
Introducing the star of our Midwestern bouquet for Cricut — our jumbo crepe paper sunflower! This gorgeous paper bloom is sure to brighten all of your days. The new Cricut Maker has made it a wonderful possibility for us to finally cut crepe paper and felt on a cutting machine. We’d highly recommend this new piece of crafting technology — it will change your life. If you don’t have access to a cutting machine, don’t forget you can also cut this project by hand with a pair of scissors! Download the templates and follow our step-by-step tutorial below for crepe paper crafting made easy. Spread some sunshine and love!
Tools & Materials
- Scissors or Cutting Machine (recommended)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Art Sponge
- Floristic Crepe Paper in Goldenrod
- Lia Griffth Double-Sided in Ferns + Moss
- Felt – Black, Brown, Acorn, Mustard, Meadow
- Floral Wire – 18-gauge
- Floral Tape
- Tacky Glue
- PanPastels – Magenta, Dairylide Yellow
- Wooden Skewer
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Following the template notes, cut one strip of black felt, two strips of yellow felt, five strips of light brown felt and eight strips of dark brown felt.
- Using the tacky glue, glue a strip of dark brown felt on both sides of the strip of black felt, placing them so 1/4” of the black felt is sticking out of the top on the long side. Repeat gluing a light brown strip of felt onto either side of both strips of yellow felt. Repeat again gluing a strip of dark brown felt onto either side of the three remaining light brown strips of felt.
- Allow the glue to dry, then fringe each strip of felt on the side with the middle color peeking out.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
More to Explore
Explore more crepe paper flowers here. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for your own Lia Griffith membership today! For a chance to be featured on our social media, use #MadeWithLia when sharing photos of your latest projects — you are our greatest inspiration! Have a sunny day ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
I am planning on making some of these for a birthday party. It says in the instructions to glue a wooden bead but it doesn’t say what size. Also, what size is the finished sunflower?
You can use a 15-20 mm bead or spun ball, we sell these in our shop. The finished size is about 15 inches plus or minus a little. Share photos of your finished flowers!
My little sister getting married in nov she won’t me to make sunflowers and I need help please
Hi Lori– you’ll find everything you need to make sunflowers in our posts if you’re a member. We have a video tutorial that may be helpful here: https://liagriffith.com/crepe-paper-sunflower-video-tutorial/
I love your flowers and I joined to get the files for the Midwestern Floral Bouquet. I am having trouble uploading the SVG files. I have downloaded the files but when I try to upload them to Design Space it tells me that it doesn’t support the file. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Well, I got it to work. Sorry to be a bother. 😉
Oh good!! 🙂
I just joined over the weekend. I do not have the correct supplies yet, so I had to order them. However I was also impatient and excited!! I used a few of your patterns with the card stock I have on hand. I know it’s heavier than what you are suppose to use. Everyone including myself is in love with them regardless! Thank you sooo much! 🙂 I can’t wait until I have the proper stuff!! I love sunflowers, they are one of my most favorite!
I love hearing this!! I’m so glad you were able to get started (hey, practice makes perfect right?) Can’t wait to hear what else you make!
I’ve been waiting for this one!!! The Paper Florists FB group has a focus flower this month and guess what??? This month is Sunflower!! My dilemma has been the center–it’s so big!!!
Thanks for this!
What great timing! Our maker Meagan had fun figuring out the center for this one 🙂