Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Summer is in the air and we’re feeling energized to explore new craft materials! Recently we have loved exploring the possibilities for leather crafting, whether it’s for making home decor or stylish fashion accessories. Here is our super easy tutorial for making a set of leather flower pins. You can use them to wear on your shirt collar or to dress up your purses and tote bags. Customize them in different colors and give them out to your loved ones as DIY gifts!
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- X-acto Knife
- Metal Ruler
- Cutting Mat
- Leather (lightweight and soft)
- Pins with pin backs (gold)
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- For Small Pin: Print and cut the template at the bottom of the post. Trace onto the underside of the leather.
- Using scissors, cut out flower shape along the inner edge of the pen outline.
- Cut five flower shapes.
- Use an awl to poke a hole in the center of one shape.
- Insert a pin and glue into place.
- Glue four of the flower shapes together, stacked and staggered. Create a flower center from the fifth shape by applying hot glue to the center and pinching together.
- Glue the center onto the flower and attach the pin back.
- For Large Pin: Cut the template using an x-acto. Trace the center and tips onto leather (this is easier than tracing the whole shape.)
- Using x-acto, cut three of the larger shapes.
- Repeat the process to cut one of the smaller shapes. Using scissors is easier than an x-acto for smaller shapes.
- Poke a hole in the center of one of the larger shapes with an awl.
- Fold the ends and glue the tips to the center.
- Insert a pin through the hole and glue in place. Glue two flower shapes together, back to back.
- Glue the third flower on top of the stack, face up.
- Place a large drop of glue in the center of a small flower and scrunch together holding tightly until cool. Glue onto to of flower.
Follow the photo tutorial below for a visual guide to making our leather flower pins!
We love how simple and quick this project is, and it’s actually pretty easy to customize the designs in different ways. Find different colors of leather, or add some embellishments to the flower centers. Instead of making the center completely out of leather, you can glue on a gem or bead. Another idea is to turn these into keychains instead of pins and brooches. It’s all up to you!
For more project inspiration, browse all of our leather tutorials on the site. Always feel free to leave a comment with feedback on the project, or give us your project suggestions so we can make them happen! We love seeing your project photos, so be sure to tag us when you post on your social channels. Visit our membership page to see how you can join our growing community of creatives, or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to see the latest and greatest in your news feed. See you soon! ~ Lia & Team
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member