In the past we have shared a recipe for blueberry scones, and now we are playing around with a gluten free scone recipe made with lemon. Perfect for taking advantage of yummy winter citrus season! These scones were inspired by traditional English scones rather than the triangular ones we see in the US. Scones in England are usually much taller, and you would cut a scone in half to fill it with jam and cream. Instead we are making thinner scones that you can use to sandwich your goodies inside! Stay tuned for our lemon curd recipe that we paired with this gluten free scone recipe for the ultimate burst of delicious zest. Of course these would also be delicious topped with some fruit.
Find the full recipe in our printable recipe template below. Once you are finished, enjoy with your morning coffee or afternoon tea! Browse all of the recipes on our site for more culinary adventures, or head over to our membership page to receive DIY inspiration every single day. If you love celebrating winter citrus like we do, find our collection of projects in our Winter Citrus Series to add more citrus elements to your daily life. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team
- A scant under 1 cup of All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 3 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 2/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Heat oven to 500 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse the flour blend, 3 tbsp sugar, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum in a food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until crumb consistency, with no lumps of butter.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, sour cream, lemon zest and juice. Stir into flour mix and form into ball of dough. Cover and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes max.
- Dampen hands, transfer dough onto a large piece of parchment sprayed with oil. Press ball gently into flat shape approx 2 inches thick. Use serrated cookie cutter to cut out scone shape.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Reduce oven to 425 degrees and cook for approx 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve scones with lemon curd (search recipe on the site) and cream inside if desired