Did you catch our sneak peek of today’s DIY project on our Instagram stories? This gorgeous dragonfly costume and butterfly costume are such cute no-sew projects — perfect for those with an intermediate skill level or higher. Our little models couldn’t wait to try on these costumes. And we bet your kids will feel the same way!
If you’re looking for something even simpler, check out our cute cat and mouse masks. Otherwise, scroll on down to see how our designer Meagan crafted these amazing kids’ costumes.
Spread Your DIY Wings
Whether you’ve been making your kids their Halloween costumes for years or you’re doing it for the first time, we’re here to help you spread your DIY wings and craft something amazing that your kids will love. This dragonfly costume and butterfly costume are beautiful, unique, and so much fun — just like your kiddos! Simply download our template below and follow our step-by-step tutorial to instantly transform your little one into their favorite fluttering creature.
Overall, it took our designer about three hours to make both the dragonfly costume and butterfly costume. Cutting out the foam core with a detail knife takes some time, but it’s worth it! Especially when you see your kids’ eyes light up over their Halloween costume.
If you end up crafting one or both of these costumes, we would love to see how they turn out! You can email pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org or post them on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #MadeWithLia. If you have any questions about this craft project, be sure to let us know in the comments!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- 19” x 25” Drawing Paper
- Dragonfly: Indigo Blue, Icy Blue, Azure, Eggshell, and Bisque
- Butterfly: Indigo Blue, Dawn Pink, Orchid, Bisque, Canary, and Eggshell
- Acrylic Paint — Blick Matte Acrylics Dark Blue Deep
- 20″x30″ Foam Core
- Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
- Spray Adhesive
- Cotton String
- 3″ Styrofoam Ball
- Wool Roving — Chocolate
- Felting Needle
How to Make a Dragonfly & Butterfly Costume
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the PDF template below.
- Cut out the template using your scissors. Then, tape the template together.
- Trace around the wing template onto a piece of foam core; then cut out using a detail knife.
- Paint around the edge of the foam core using your acrylic paint and paintbrush.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
You can also join our crafting community to access all of our DIY craft projects. This includes printable patterns, SVG files, easy tutorials, and more!
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.