It’s always a fun challenge to think of houseplants you can also use as Halloween decor. The simplest way to achieve this is by using black paper, like we did with this paper fern and these paper succulents. But there is actually a black begonia plant, so we thought a paper black begonia would be perfect for this month’s collection.
Designed by Meagan, this DIY craft has simple shapes that are easy to cut by hand, making it a great project for beginners. However, you are always welcome to use your cutting machine with our SVG file.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Our tutorial below will show you how to combine text weight paper, cardstock, and crepe paper to make your own paper black begonia plant. You will also learn how to make your leaves look more realistic by adding PanPastel and using a paint pen to draw on veins and other details. As always, you can get creative here and play around with the shape and size of the dots on the leaves.
For an extra spooky touch, we put our paper black begonia in a black vase. We’d love to see your version of this paper plant so be sure to share photos with us on our crafters community page. Or post pictures on Instagram and Facebook with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
Crafting tip: Work quickly after applying the glue because it dries fast.
How to Make a Paper Black Begonia
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut paper according to template notes using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Glue an 18-gauge wire between a black and a purple leaf.
- Add veining details at the center of the score marks on the black side of the leaf using a white paint pen.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Cutting Machine (optional)
- Pastel Soft Art Sponge
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Frosted Craft Paper – Berry Pack: Color 4
- Black Cardstock — Lia Griffith Cardstock – Kraft & Natural
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Espresso
- Floral Wire – 18-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Floral Tape — Bark & Pine
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Posca Paint Pen – 1MR Ultra Fine Pen Bullet – White
- PanPastel® Artist Pastel – Black 800.5 and Chromium Oxide Green Extra Dark 660.1
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member