Paper lanterns are one of our favorite things to make. And it seems like you all love to craft them, too! Today we’re showing you how to create these paper lanterns for Valentine’s Day.
If you love to decorate your home for the holiday, these lanterns would look lovely on a table or on your mantel. They would also make pretty table décor for your Galentine’s Day party, wedding, bridal shower, or another event where love is in the air!
Our paper lanterns for Valentine’s Day feature two designs: one with cut-out hearts and one that simply says “love.” For our lanterns, we chose two soft pink colors along with two neutral colors. You can find the exact colors linked below. Or you can use whatever colors you like best!
Another thing we always like to add to our paper lanterns is translucent vellum paper. We also sometimes add flameless tea lights to our lanterns. This makes them feel more like real lanterns and can give the room a soft, intimate glow. However, they look just as pretty without the tea lights—the choice is up to you!
When you’re ready to craft these paper lanterns for Valentine’s Day, we recommend using a cutting machine. This project will be much faster and simpler with a cutting machine. But you can also print our PDF template and cut these by hand.
If you have any questions, just let us know! We would love to see how you use these paper lanterns for Valentine’s Day. So remember to post pictures to our Facebook page for members! Or share pictures on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Text Weight Metallic Paper – Curious Metallic Chestnut, Curious Metallic Rose Gold, Curious Metallic Pink Quartz, and Curious Metallic Champagne
- Vellum Paper – Translucent Vellum Platinum
How to Assemble
- Cut the “love” and 3D heart lanterns according to pattern. If using the SVG cut files, be sure to change the magenta lines to “SCORE”.
- Cut the vellum pieces according to template notes. Use an adhesive dot roller to adhere to the inside of the lantern.
- Fold the lanterns along each fold line, then add glue or adhesive along the long tab on the side. Press to secure closed.
- For the tops, cut from vellum and snip a small slit on each corner as indicated in pattern. Fold down, add dab of glue then overlap corners to create a “top”.
Find More Projects You Love
Want more ideas? You can browse all of our Valentine’s Day crafts here. For daily DIY ideas and inspiration, follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. And browse our YouTube channel for video tutorials on how to make flowers, home décor, jewelry, and more!
To download our DIY designs, templates, and tutorials, join our crafting community.