Our graphic designer Lindsay is back at it again with an amazing paper lantern design for Halloween. The last Halloween lanterns we created featured a spooky graveyard scene with branches reaching out from the top. But this year we are all about spiders! You can download our paper spider web lanterns below in two different sizes — small and large. Then just follow our five-step tutorial to craft them on your own!
If you have a cutting machine, these paper spider web lanterns will be a super quick project. It took us about 30 minutes to make one large and one small lantern. So if you are cutting by hand, just know it will take longer to cut out all the details.
You Light Up My Web
Although you could set out your paper spider web lanterns as they are, we like to add LED tea light candles that flicker to ours. That way, you still get that soft, cozy glow, just like a real lantern would provide. If you want to use flameless candles in your paper lanterns, you can find a link for them below in our materials list.
Once you have crafted your paper spider web lanterns, tell us how you are decorating with them! We think they’d make perfect mantel decor along with a black paper tree from our Halloween village. Or you could use them as party decor. However you use them, we want to see your DIY Halloween display! So make sure to share pictures with us by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram or Facebook.
We have some more Halloween decor ideas coming up for you soon, including the black paper succulents shown above on our Halloween mantel. We will share the tutorial for those next week, so don’t forget to check back! Happy Halloween crafting! ~ Lia and team
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Text Weight Paper – Stardream Metallics Onyx, Curious Metallics Chestnut
- Lia Griffith Vellum Paper Pack
- Mini Antique Metal Brads
- Flameless Flickering Tea Lights
How to Make Paper Spider Web Lanterns
- Download either the PDF template or SVG file below. Note: there are two sizes of paper lanterns to choose from.
- Cut paper lanterns; then fold along score lines. Cut vellum according to the pattern; then glue vellum to inside of windows using an adhesive dot roller, tape, or hot glue.
- For the large lantern, run a strip of adhesive or hot glue down one side tab; then adhere the two pieces together. Run adhesive or glue down the second tab; then gently press the lantern closed. For the small lantern, run adhesive down the side tab, and gently press the lantern closed.
- Add a dab of hot glue to the tabs at the top of the lantern to connect and close.
- Place handle inside top of lantern and secure with brads.
Ready to start crafting with us? Explore our membership options here.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.