Spread Your Crafting Wings!
The cockatoo is by far one of the most annoying birds in the animal kingdom. But we see through their crazy cawing for what they truly are: Cute and cuddly creatures of the air! Using both felt and pom-poms, we’ve made this incredibly easy cockatoo pet project.
Now it’s your turn! Just gather the tools and materials, then download the templates. Finally, follow the step-by-step tutorial or download the instructions. Hope you love your newest felt friend. (Caw!)
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Click here for more information.
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Micro-Tip Scissors (recommended)
- Pom-Pom Makers (2 sizes) – Clover 1-3/8” & 1-5/8”
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – White, Rose Quartz, Mango, and Marble
- Brava Sport Acrylic Yarn – “White” and “Cotton Candy” (similar)
- Two 6mm Black Beads
- If you haven’t already, become a Lia Griffith Annual Member. This gives you access to unlimited SVG downloads!
- Gather tools and materials.
- Make 2 pom-poms for the bird – Wrap the smallest pom-pom maker with pink yarn, and the bigger one with 3/4 white and 1/4 pink yarn.
- Finish making the pom poms and trim evenly.
- Tie the head and body together with the pink part of the body meeting the head. Trim the ends. You can also just trim o the ties first and glue the head to the body to get it in the correct spot.
- Cut out felt according to the pattern. Micro-tip scissors makes cutting out the small detailed pieces easier.
- Glue together the beak and head feathers as shown, so that they are double-sided.
- Part the yarn in the middle of the head and glue on the beak and feathers.
- Trim away the yarn a bit and glue on the beads for the eyes. You can give the face a little more shape with the smaller scissors.
- Glue together the tail and wing pieces as shown.
- Part the yarn at the base of bird and glue on the tail feathers.
- Glue the tops of the wings to the side of the bird and the two feet under the body.
- Make a classic cockatoo using all white yarn and yellow felt instead of pink.
Have Fun with Felt (and More!)
We are here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with the LG community by using #MadeWithLia — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy crafting! ~ Lia and Team
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
can I download the pattern and instructions for the pompom cockatoos without paying for the membership?
We offer our templates and tutorials for our members, though you can find many fun freebies on our site as well.
Really nice. Ever tried a cardinal?
Not in a pom pom (great idea though!)… We do have a felted cardinal! https://liagriffith.com/felted-cardinal-bird/
[…] Pom Pom & Felt Cockatoo […]