Today we have a new yarn bird design for you to craft, courtesy of our maker Krista! In the past we have created tutorials for adorable love birds and cute yellow chicks. After you’ve mastered those projects, you can move on to these pom pom hummingbirds, which is great practice for learning the technique of making speckled yarn pom poms.
- Yarn (green, white, magenta, brown)
- Wool Blend Felt – Mint, Black, and Doe Brown
- 2 Small Black Beads
- Black Marker
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Make 2 pom poms – wrap the smaller pom pom maker with 1/2 green, 1/2 magenta for the head. Wrap the bigger pom pom maker with 2/3 green, 1/6 white and 1/6 magenta for the body. Follow the photo tutorial below for reference.
- Tie the pom poms off with the knots at the top, next to the magenta yarn.
- Pull the pom pom makers apart. Trim the body into a more oval shape, and the head spherical with a flatter top of the head.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
You should be able to find these materials at your local craft store, but we specifically used Brava Worsted Yarn by Knit Picks in Tranquil, Rouge, White and Almond. We have some great felt available in our shop, and you can also find beautiful colors at Benzie Design, A Child’s Dream Come True and Felt on the Fly. For a general tutorial on making yarn pom poms, find our instructions here. Feel free to make any little tweaks to the pom pom hummingbirds as you are crafting to make them more personal to you! Once you are finished, style them in a bird’s nest or branch as pretty seasonal home decor for the warmer .
Run With It!
For more bird projects, make sure to look through our needle felted bird series. Find all of our yarn pom pom projects for inspiration or let us know in the comments below which projects you would like to see more of on the site! If you are in the sharing mood, we would love to see your project photos. Post them on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia for all to admire! Browse our membership options to see how you can become a part of our community of creatives, then tell us how you like to be inspired! Cheers ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.