Today is the 17th day of my 21-day Clean cleanse! I will admit those little French macarons from Wednesday’s post were a huge temptation, but I am really liking the clear mind and boost of energy I am getting from this journey. Today for lunch I made one of my favorite side dishes that is perfect for this cleanse as well as any day. I made this Quinoa Risotto to go along with my sliced turkey and vegetable salad.
Some claim quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a seed while others believe it belongs to the grain family. Whichever group it falls into, this ancient Peruvian food is a great source of nutrition and is full of protein. I eat quinoa like rice, make it in my rice cooker, add it to soups in the winter or make a quinoa salad with fresh from the garden vegetables in the summer. This recipe is a great replacement for rice or pasta any time of the year. It is perfect for both the gluten-free and the vegan diet. Enjoy! ~ Lia
- 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 8 ounces sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 6 ounces sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- Cook quinoa, water and salt in a rice cooker or bring 2 cups salted water to boil in medium saucepan.
- Add quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender and water is absorbed, about 13 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions in olive oil until onion begins to caramelize.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are tender.
- Add vegetable broth, thyme and garlic and let simmer about 5 minutes.
- Mix quinoa into mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper.