I love Mediterranean food and have already shared my favorite hummus recipe. Another favorite is a fresh Tabbouleh salad. Sadly, when I eat out at great Mediterranean restaurants I have to avoid the Tabbouleh since it is made with bulger wheat which is not gluten-free. I side step this salad when out and instead make my fresh and tasty Tabbouleh with my favorite grain/seed. . . Quinoa.
I prepare quinoa in a rice maker just like I do rice with a 1 to 2 ratio. You may have a favorite method or cook it in a pan and it all works for this salad. Just make for sure your quinoa is completely cool before you add in the fresh vegetables. Also, you can use white, red or any version of this quinoa. All work beautifully.
This recipe is not only gluten-free, but is also vegan and with the added quinoa is full of protein and fiber. This is a great summer salad to share at a picnic or eat for lunch in the office. I am going to go enjoy a bowl for my Friday dinner right now. Enjoy! ~ Lia
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Sea salt
- 2 Persian cucumbers, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place quinoa, salt, and water into rice cooker. After cooked, remove from cooking pan into large bowl and let cool. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- In small bowl whisk lemon juice and garlic gradually adding in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa. Mix in dressing and finish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be made a day ahead. Keep covered and chilled.