This might be my favorite project of the month! Krista designed these wood deer decorations and they are just so darling. Although they look delicate, they are made out of two layers of veneer with chipboard between for added strength.
This is a beginner friendly project and a perfect winter-time craft that is easy to assemble. It is also easy to take apart and store when you’re ready to take down your Christmas decorations.
We’re quite fawnd of these deer
These wood deer decorations would look cute in a winter scene styled on a mantel, table, or shelf. We especially like them in front of our frosted paper honeycomb trees! You can even add some white wool balls to complete your winter display.
If you don’t use these decorations in your own home, we also think they would make such beautiful Christmas gifts. Due to the type of material, we recommend using a Cricut Maker with a deep cut blade and StrongGrip mat.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Cutting Machine (recommended) with Deep Cut Blade and StrongGrip Mat
- Detail Knife
- Fine Grit Sandpaper
How to Make Wood Deer Decorations
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need for this project.
- Prep the wood veneer by placing it with the wood grain going vertical onto a StrongGrip cutting mat. Tape down the edges with masking tape. Following Cricut’s instructions, cut out the wood pieces using the Cricut Wood Veneer setting and a Deep Cut Blade. The machine will make multiple passes on the material, but check that it cut all the way through the wood when it is done (without removing the mat from the machine). If not, run it through the material again, checking after each pass. Use a detail knife to go over any areas that might still be attached. Remove each piece, being careful not to bend them because they can easily crack along the grain.
- Cut out two of each part. You will need one sheet of veneer to make both deer; the SVG file is already prepped to fit.
- Sand down any rough edges to smooth using a fine grit sandpaper. A nail file works perfect for getting around all the curves and into the small corners
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love these little wood deer decorations? Make sure to also check out our papercut winter deer artwork — another great cutting machine project! We also have this amazing paper deer head that you can add to your Christmas decor. Or you can browse all of our Christmas crafts for more ideas.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.