If you’re searching for Christmas mantel ideas, we’ve got a unique one for you! This DIY paper deer head is a beautiful handcrafted work of art and will spruce up any room for the holiday season. If you’d like, you could also remove the paper wreath around its neck and leave it up year-round.
Due to the intricate details of this paper deer, we recommend using a cutting machine. But we have also included a PDF template for anyone who wants to cut by hand.
Reminiscent of taxidermy trophies, this papercut version evokes a similar rustic vibe. Go for a stroll in the forest and find a wood slice that appeals to you (or you can always buy one online!), then create your paper deer head to mount onto it.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Adhesive-Back Wood Paper – 3 12×12″ sheets
- Cardstock — 3 teal, 1 red, and 1 green 12×12″ sheets
- Wood Slice – Large
- Felt (for the wood slice)
- 6″ Red Ribbon — 1/4″ or 1/2″ wide
How to Make a Wood Paper Deer
- Gather the tools and materials listed above. Peel the backer off the wood paper and attach it to teal cardstock. (This will thicken the paper.)
- Trim your felt to fit the back of your wood slice. Glue a ribbon loop holder to the back of the wood, then glue the felt to the wood.
- Trim your pieces according to the pattern. Score and fold along the dotted lines.
- Flip over to the backside.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Questions? Feedback? Don’t forget to use #MadeWithLia when sharing photos of your latest projects! Or you can post photos to our Facebook page for members.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.