After finishing our Embroidery 101 course, we are more inspired than ever to help you create beautiful projects like this! A whimsical design by Emily, this hoop features an intricately embroidered butterfly surrounded by felt monstera leaves and palm fronds in beautiful shades of green. Our tutorial will show you how to create this stunning layered design and detailed embroidery, giving your butterfly its signature monarch look.
When you’re ready to go, check out our supplies list below. Then download our template and photo tutorial.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Monarch butterflies are North America’s most easily recognized butterfly species due to their distinctive orange wings and black patterning. They symbolize change, transformation, and hope — a perfect springtime craft.
Emily chose our wool-blend felt in moss, juniper, and fern for the greenery below the embroidered butterfly. The two pairs of brilliant coral wings are reinforced with 24-gauge wire to give your butterfly a 3D effect. As always, you’re welcome to get creative with the felt (and floss) colors you pick for your project!
Once finished, the hoop makes it easy to hang your creation as wall decor. We’d love to see your spin on this project, so share your version with us on our crafter’s community page or by using the hashtag #MadeWithLia on Instagram or Facebook.
Skill level: Intermediate
Embroidery stitches used: Stem stitch, straight stitch, backstitch, and satin stitch. Need more guidance on these stitches? Check out our free embroidery guide for step-by-step photo tutorials — or take our skill course: Embroidery 101 if you prefer video tutorials.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
How to Make an Embroidered Butterfly & Tropical Leaves
- Gather your tools and materials. Then download the zip file below.
- Print out the template on water soluble stabilizer and cut the leaves and brown wing pieces out on a cutting machine or by hand.
- Place the leaf template over the felt leaf. Use a 4-strand stem stitch for the center line and 2-strand stem stitch for the side lines.
- Tack the brown body top to the raspberry felt with a dot of glue.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
- Kai 5″ Detail Scissors
- Cutting Machine (optional)
- Cricut EasyPress or Iron (optional)
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- High-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Kai Curved Thread Snips
- Embroidery Hoop – 10″
- Sulky Stick N Stitch
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Moss, Juniper, Fern, Raspberry, Coral, and Chocolate
- DMC Embroidery Floss — 453, 3815, and 3802
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered White
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member