We are all about botanical designs and projects this year, and it doesn’t hurt that Greenery is Pantone’s Color of the Year. Eucalyptus has always been a beautiful filler green for bouquets and arrangements, but lately this botanical has become so trendy for styling. The plant is no doubt gorgeous, but it also provides a unique dusty color that other greens can’t quite capture. In the past we have made a paper eucalyptus garland to style a wedding cake, and now we are showing you how to make a DIY eucalyptus branch that you can use for elegant and lasting home decor. There are many different types of eucalyptus, but we especially love this silver dollar eucalyptus.
- Green Vellum Paper
- 20 Gauge Floral Wire (8 pieces)
- 18 Gauge Floral Wire (1 piece)
- Gold Floral Tape
- Smooch Spritz in Gold Glow
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Wrap all of your wire with floral tape.
- Using your wire cutters, cut two of your 20 gauge wires in half, cut two into three equal pieces, and cut one into four equal pieces.
- Using floral tape, attach your three full length wires to your 18 gauge wire.
- Repeat step four with the two wires you cut in half.
- Continue attaching your wires, now using the two wires you cut into thirds.
- Attach the shortest wires last, placing them toward the ends of your already attached wires.
- Cut your eucalyptus leaves at the tip of each branch on one side of the cut.
- Glue your eucalyptus leaves according to the template or using a cutting machine.
- Glue the other side of the cut on top of the already glued side to sandwich the branch.
- Bend the wire branches to resemble a eucalyptus branch.
- To finish, bring the branches closer to the center and spray with Smooch Spritz.
Follow our photo tutorial below for visual guidance to craft up a DIY eucalyptus branch!
Start by downloading the template below – there is a PDF file if you are cutting by hand or and SVG file to use with a cutting machine. Rather than making this botanical with crepe or metallic paper, we are trying something new by using vellum. We don’t do enough crafting with vellum! Vellum is slightly transparent, which is perfect for creating that dustier look. One of the best parts about making your own paper flowers and botanicals is that you can create color combinations or features that you would not be able to find in nature. So of course we took the opportunity to add some gold glitter to our handmade eucalyptus branch! Spray the Smooch Spritz from a foot or two away, and we recommend setting down some newspaper or butcher paper so it doesn’t get onto anything else.
Take a look at all of our paper botanical tutorials for more project inspiration, or use this DIY eucalyptus branch technique for creating your own delicate branches. We would love to see how your branches turn out, so share your photos with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses into our latest projects, or head to our membership page to start crafting with us. Enjoy! ~ Lia & Team
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.