I am always looking for great ideas for DIY gifts. This little project, wool felt ball trivets, ticks many of my “perfect gift” boxes. It’s sustainable, made from New Zealand wool felt and formed into balls in Nepal. It’s very simple and easy to craft, which means it won’t take a lot of time to make. Plus it’s fun to personalize with different felt ball colors and sizes.
And, if you love making wool felt ball crafts, be sure and check out our library of projects.
Ball you need is love
One of the reasons I love a DIY gift is because of all the love and thoughtfulness that goes into it. Plus handmade gifts are often very useful! These wool felt ball trivets can be used as a hot pad or under a plant pot to protect the surface. If used as a hot pad, we would recommend using white glue, and under a plant, we would use hot glue. These two methods are also great for kid’s crafts, as you can prepare the trivet base and then have the kids join in on the gluing fun!
However, we also have another version of this project that shows you how to sew the felt balls together to create the wool felt ball trivet if you prefer that method instead. If the trivet needs to be washable, we do recommend the sewing technique. This is a good beginner method as well but requires someone comfortable using a long needle.
For these wool felt ball trivets, we used our 2cm wool felt balls. In our shop, we have ten colors to choose from to customize your trivets. The designs are made in a hexagon shape, with the smaller trivet using three balls per edge and the larger using four. You can download the full tutorial and the template for the trivet base below.
Skill level: Beginner
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Kai 8″ Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- StarCraft Heat Press, Cricut EasyPress, or Iron
- High-Temp Hot Glue Gun or Art Glitter Glue
- Lia Griffith Felt Balls 2cm — Cotton, Saffron, and Olive
- Lia Griffith Wool Blend Felt — Oyster
- Heat N Bond Fusible Interfacing — Extra Firm
- Lia Griffith Fusible Web
How to Make Wool Felt Ball Trivets
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the template below.
- Cut out felt, interfacing, and fusible web according to template using scissors or a cutting machine with a rotary blade.
- Iron the felt hexagon with a hole in the center to the extra firm fusible interfacing.
- Iron the second felt hexagon to the backside of the extra firm interfacing. Place the fusible web between the felt and firm interfacing to attach.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.