We have created many cute and simple tote bags over the years with our iron-on designs, so today we are stepping it up a bit by adding leather around the canvas. This canvas leather tote bag is perfect for summer and easy enough for a beginner to make. Just be sure to follow the rule: measure a million times, cut once! Ok really the rule is measure twice, cut once, but the materials for this project are a little spendy so you’ll want to make sure you are extra careful with your measurements and cuts.
Everything you need to make this canvas leather tote bag is linked below. Plus there is a template and a step-by-step photo tutorial at the very end of the post for you to download.
- 6 Leather Straps 8/9 Ounce — 1″ x 72″
- Canvas Bag — 15″x14″x4″ (Note: You must use the same size bag for the measurements provided.)
- E6000 Glue
How to Make a Canvas and Leather Tote Bag
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the template below.
- Cut leather strips to length according to the template notes, using a rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat. Use a pen to label each strap on the rough side of the leather (e.g. shoulder strap).
- Using a pen on the rough side of the leather, mark where slits need to be cut (follow the notes in the template for size and placement).
- Cut slits where marked using your detail knife, ruler, and cutting mat.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
Find more DIY accessories to make or browse all of our leather crafts. For daily craft ideas and inspiration, follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. And browse our YouTube channel for video tutorials on how to make paper flowers, style your DIY home decor, and more.