We have created many cute and simple tote bags over the years with our iron-on designs, so today we are stepping it up a bit by adding leather around the canvas. This canvas leather tote bag is perfect for summer and easy enough for a beginner to make. Just be sure to follow the rule: measure a million times, cut once! Ok really the rule is measure twice, cut once, but the materials for this project are a little spendy so you’ll want to make sure you are extra careful with your measurements and cuts.
Everything you need to make this canvas leather tote bag is linked below. Plus there is a template and a step-by-step photo tutorial at the very end of the post for you to download.
We love this pretty leather design that Meagan created and think it’s a great size for all of your purse essentials plus your sunglasses, a couple of magazines, some hand lotion, and whatever else you might need to have on hand. Also, if you need a sunglass case for summer or some hand sanitizer spray to take on the go, we’ve got you covered.
When crafting your canvas leather tote bag, we recommend using the same size as the one we linked to below or to at least find one with the same measurements. If you use a different size bag, it won’t work with the measurements provided in the template. Another tip is to label what each strap is as you are cutting it to not get them mixed up.
If you did want to do some experimenting, you could recreate the look of this tote bag using faux leather or thick 2mm felt. However, before ordering your materials, make sure to double-check the size because whatever material you use for the straps needs to be at least 66″ long in one direction.
When you are done making your DIY tote bag, we’d love to see it! Share pictures with us by tagging #MadeWithLia. And don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions about this project.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- 6 Leather Straps 8/9 Ounce — 1″ x 72″
- Canvas Bag — 15″x14″x4″ (Note: You must use the same size bag for the measurements provided.)
- E6000 Glue
How to Make a Canvas and Leather Tote Bag
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the template below.
- Cut leather strips to length according to the template notes, using a rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat. Use a pen to label each strap on the rough side of the leather (e.g. shoulder strap).
- Using a pen on the rough side of the leather, mark where slits need to be cut (follow the notes in the template for size and placement).
- Cut slits where marked using your detail knife, ruler, and cutting mat.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
Find more DIY accessories to make or browse all of our leather crafts. For daily craft ideas and inspiration, follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. And browse our YouTube channel for video tutorials on how to make paper flowers, style your DIY home decor, and more.