We are so excited to kick off this year of creativity with you! And it starts right now with all of the details you need to get ready for our live Member Make workshop this month. Normally Meagan designs a paper flower for us all to learn how to make, but this time I will be showing you how to make a crepe paper cabbage rose wreath. In addition to making the wreath, I will show you how to make the full stem version as well so you can use this crepe paper cabbage rose in a bouquet.
Get ready for our workshop by gathering the tools and materials you need from our list below. Then join us live on January 15th at 11 a.m. PT!
Make some buds this month!
Member Make is always a fun time for us all to get together. Along with asking us questions, you can also meet and chat with other members that are part of our crafting community. Even if you can only pop in for a bit, we encourage you to join us live!
Because it is Valentine’s Day next month, I decided that our crepe paper cabbage rose wreath needed to be heart-shaped. Luckily we happen to have some heart wreaths in our shop still, which I ended up spray painting gold. You can spray yours too if you would like or keep it silver. Of course you can also use a different wreath form too. (Update: This metal heart wreath is now sold out everywhere, so our video tutorial will show you how to make your own heart wreath using vine wire.)
Ready to get started? If you haven’t joined us for Member Make before, be sure to read the instructions on how to participate.
How to Join Our Member Make Challenge
- Become a member and — if you want to meet other flower makers and get more crafting tips — join our Facebook page for members.
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need to make your crepe paper cabbage rose heart wreath — listed below. Then download the printable template or SVG file at the end of this post.
- Join our YouTube Live on January 15th at 11:00 a.m. PST to craft this crepe paper cabbage rose heart wreath with us. We will share the link to join on the Facebook page for members and send it to members who are on our email list. It will also be available for playback here once the live workshop is over.
- Watch our video tutorial to craft along with us and create your own crepe paper cabbage rose heart wreath. Remember, you can always use a different color of crepe paper, try different techniques, change the wreath form, or make a bouquet instead.
- If you need some guidance, reach out to us and others in our crafting community. You can also post progress pictures or ask questions on our Facebook page for members. Make sure to use the hashtag #MemberMake on Instagram and Facebook so your project is easy to find.
- Lastly, share your final version of your crepe paper cabbage rose! You can post your pictures on our Facebook page for members or on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MemberMake.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Paintbrush (for PanPastel)
- High-Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper – Coral and Mango
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Olive
- 10mm Cotton Spun Paper Balls
- 15mm Cotton Spun Paper Balls
- 18-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- 24-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- Gold or Silver Heart-Shaped Hoop Wreath (now sold out)
- Vine Wire (to make your own heart wreath)
- PanPastel Lia Griffith Designer Set (optional)
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
A i I love to decorate the whole house and make a special card for my husband. We are celebrating 55 years of wedded bliss this year.
That sounds beautiful, Rebecca! Happy Anniversary!
Are these member only monthly workshops still going on? This was forward to me in a email. However I am not seeing.
Thank you Mechell Berry
Yes they are! If you are logged in, you should be able to view the video and download the template.
Hi this is so pretty! What size is the heart and even though it’s sold out, where did you get it or where can we get it in the future?
Thank you! The wreath is about 10-12″ wide, but unfortunately we cannot find a source for it anywhere! We will update this post if (hopefully WHEN!) we find a replacement for it.
Hi Lia…when will the heart wreaths be in stock? Thank you!
Those are no longer available to us since Michaels bought the supplier. Maybe check on their site or use the vine wire to create your own. Meagan shows a demo for this in the video.
I have a question about using the fixative spray you mentioned. Do you spray that on the crepe paper before you cut out your pieces or after the flower is assembled?
We spray them after the flowers are assembled.
I’ve assembled my rose & leafs onto the heart shaped ring & it’s just not staying put. What step did I miss? How do ya get it to stay in place? Thanks for any tips
Hi Eve. We wrapped the wire onto the metal, the same way Meagan did in the video. But since the gold is slippery, I suggest you wrap it tightly and interlace the stem wires of all the buds and leaves as well. One additional trick is that once your flowers are in place, cut some pointed ovals from your green crepe, turn the wreath over and glue the green ovals onto the back of the arrangement so that you tightly sandwich the wire between the crepe papers.
Why is Mango crepe paper on the list of materials?
I am using it for the centers of the peony but you can use a marker if you prefer.
Looking forward to Friday’s cabbage rose. Should be fun!
I will do my best to make it fun! 😉
Thank you yes that answers my questions. I can’t believe I overlook that piece entirely. I’m have more fun than is allowed I believe.
I LOVE to hear that!! We all need more joy in our lives right now. 😉
Newbie here. I’m wanting to craft along. I’ve cut out everything. Guessed on the number of leaves based on the photo. However, I’m not sure which of the petals I need 3 sets of for the buds. Anyone have any guidance there. Also should we glue the leaves before we get together on Friday or will that be part of what we do together live. Thanks in advance. I’m cutting by hand as opposed to using the Cricut and I’m enjoying it so much. Off to work on Lesson 4 (my centers). May have to watch that lesson a few more times. Lol
Hey Carlon! You can assemble your leaves ahead of time if you like. Since you are in the master class you have all of the tips and tricks. There is a petal on the pattern (lower right beside the sepal) that is for the buds. Does that help?
Can you tell us which colour to cut for the rose petals please
The petals are cut from Coral crepe paper.
Did I ever mention that I love David Austin roses? In my small terrace house garden (5×25 mtrs.) grow 6 bushes of his roses, 2 of them “Charles Austin”.
Thank you for this nice Inspiration.
Happy New Year to you all and hopefully a better one than 2020 was.
Ooh lucky you! We love them, too.