It’s been a while since we designed these traditional Chinese paper lanterns for the Chinese New Year. And since the holiday is coming up soon, we thought it was time to create something new. Our designer Meagan crafted these crepe paper Chinese lantern flowers and they are absolutely gorgeous!
Wishing You a Bright Future
The orange-red pods on real Chinese lantern flowers already look like thin, wrinkled paper, so this is a great plant to craft out of crepe paper. You can always try a different type of paper, of course, but using extra-fine crepe will make it look more like the real thing. Our extra-fine crepe in poppy is the perfect choice for this plant as it very closely matches the vibrant orange color of a Chinese lantern flower.
When you’re ready to craft your own crepe paper Chinese lantern flowers, we recommend using a Cricut Maker to cut the pattern. But if you don’t have the Maker, you could also download our PDF template and cut everything by hand. It will take a little more time to complete but it’s definitely doable!
Once you’ve crafted your flower, we’d love to see it. You can always share your DIY creations with us on our Member Make Facebook page or on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia. And if you have any questions while crafting, just let us know!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Extra Fine Crepe Paper: Lia Griffith Enchanted Garden Collection — Poppy and Juniper
- Pastels — PanPastels Pearlescent Yellow (from our designer set)
- Green Paper-Covered Floral Wire — 18-Gauge and 24-Gauge
- Green Paper-Covered Thick Stem Wire – 18-Gauge
- Floral Tape — Lia Griffith in Moss
- Large Spun Cotton Balls
How to Make Crepe Paper Chinese Lantern Flowers
- Gather the tools and materials above. Then download the pattern at the end of this post.
- Cut your crepe paper according to template notes using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Use tacky glue to glue a 24-gauge wire between the two leaf halves.
- Shade the longer point of each petal piece with PanPastel using an art sponge.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Get More Flower Inspo
Want more flower ideas? You can browse all of our paper flower projects here. For daily DIY ideas and inspiration, follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. And browse our YouTube channel for video tutorials on how to make flowers, home décor, jewelry, and more!
To download our DIY templates, SVG files, and tutorials, become a member.