If you’ve been here a while, you know that peonies are one of our favorite flowers to make. The last one we designed was this gorgeous Lorelei peony out of frosted paper. And now Meagan has created a new variety for us! This crepe paper Claire de Lune peony is so beautiful that we briefly considered making it the flower we craft for this month’s Member Make workshop. However, most of our members voted for these cornflowers instead.
To get started on this flower, check out our supplies list below. Then download our peony pattern and follow our step-by-step tutorial.
Enjoy the full bloom
Did you know it took over 500 crosses every year over 8 years to create this hybrid flower? Luckily with our tutorial you won’t have to try that many times to make this crepe paper Claire de Lune peony! However, making a flower over and over definitely helps you fine-tune your skills, and you most likely will want to make more than one peony to enjoy.
Although you could make this flower any time of the year, the Claire de Lune is one of the first peonies to bloom in the spring. Like most peonies, they are large in size. And this particular peony has cream-colored, crinkled petals and a fluffy center with golden-yellow stamens. Our tutorial for this crepe paper Claire de Lune peony will show you how to achieve these characteristics and make your flowers look more realistic.
We can’t wait to see your version of this peony, so be sure to share photos with us! Email us at email@example.com, post photos to our Facebook page for members, or use the hashtag #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Intermediate (lots of fringing by hand!)
Crafting tip: You must fringe the center by hand due to needing to stretch the cut piece of crepe paper before fringing.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors
- Pinking Shears — Scallop
- Pinking Shears — Zig Zag
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- High-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Vanilla, Coral, and Juniper
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper – Nectarine
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — White & Vanilla and Ferns & Moss
- 12mm Cotton Spun Egg
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Blick Studio Brush Markers — Green Tea (447)
- PanPastel Artist Pastel – Magenta 430.5
How to Make a Crepe Paper Claire de Lune Peony
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the flower pattern below.
- Cut crepe paper according to template notes, using either your scissors or a cutting machine.
- Use hot glue to attach a 3-inch 24-gauge wire to three 12mm cotton spun eggs.
- Color the bottom two thirds of each pistil using the green tea colored marker.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.