This is our first crepe paper flower design of 2017 and we can’t wait for its glamorous debut! We are starting with a simple flower that incorporates well into any bouquet: crepe paper cosmos. Our cosmos have 8 petals with a fringed center, so they are a great easy flower for beginners looking to venture into the world of paper flower making. Before you get started, we encourage you to check out our Crepe Paper 101 video in Craft School to learn more about crafting with the material, including tips for streamlining the crafting process!
Click here for our beginner’s guide on how to make crepe paper flowers.
- Low Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Pick out your crepe paper colors, then gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template for the flowers and cut each piece to use as a guide for cutting your crepe. Watch our Crepe 101 video for our tips and tricks on this!
- Create a tiny loop at the end of your floral wire with a pair of pliers, then glue the fringed center piece around the loop. The folded edge should be pointing up, and the wire loop should be covered after gluing.
- Gently stretch the centers of each petal.
- Glue the petals around the flower center, spacing them out evenly. Keep in mind that each flower will have 8 petals.
- Wrap the base of the flower and length of the floral wire with floral tape.
Find a visual guide for crafting the DIY cosmos flowers in our photo tutorial below. For a portable version of the project directions, download our printable instructions.
We chose a fall/winter color palette for our crepe paper cosmos, but cosmos come in lots of different colors so feel free to play around. The red is Cranberry and the deep plum in the center is Aubergine. Other colors that would be great for this are White, Vanilla, Chiffon and Blush. You can even use Caffe if you want to make chocolate cosmos! Browse all of our crepe in our shop, or below in Shop this Project. Find your 18 gauge floral wire at your local craft store, or on Amazon.
Add leaves to your crepe paper cosmos bouquet as you’d like. There is a PDF version of the leaves if you are cutting by hand, or an SVG to use with a cutting machine. We glued 2 leaves to each piece of floral wire, then wrapped the length with more floral tape. Mixing the crepe with the metallic paper gives the arrangement some beautiful texture, and we created some visual depth by using multiple shades of green for the leaves. We specifically used a mix of Fairway, Botanic and Lime Satin.
If you want to create a variety of cosmos, be sure to look at our gorgeous metallic paper cosmos tutorial. Find all of our crepe paper flowers, or pop over to our crepe paper anemones for another perfect flower for beginners. We love seeing your fabulous creations, so please share your project photos with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia. Tag your crepe flowers with #crepepaperrevival to see how others are using their crepe, or head to our membership page to start crafting with us. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team