This is our first crepe paper flower design of 2017 and we can’t wait for its glamorous debut! We are starting with a simple flower that incorporates well into any bouquet: crepe paper cosmos. Our cosmos have 8 petals with a fringed center, so they are a great easy flower for beginners looking to venture into the world of paper flower making. Before you get started, we encourage you to check out our Crepe Paper 101 video to learn more about crafting with the material, including tips for streamlining the crafting process!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Ruby, Aubergine
- Lia Griffith Frosted Craft Paper – Conifer Pack
- 18-Gauge Green Paper Covered Wire
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Pick out your crepe paper colors, then gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template for the flowers and cut each piece to use as a guide for cutting your crepe. Watch our Crepe 101 video for our tips and tricks on this!
- Create a tiny loop at the end of your floral wire with a pair of pliers, then glue the fringed center piece around the loop. The folded edge should be pointing up, and the wire loop should be covered after gluing.
- Gently stretch the centers of each petal.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
We chose a fall/winter color palette for our crepe paper cosmos, but cosmos come in lots of different colors so feel free to play around. The red is Ruby and the deep plum in the center is Aubergine. Other colors that would be great for this are Linen, Vanilla, Chiffon and Blush. You can even use Espresso if you want to make chocolate cosmos!
Add leaves to your crepe paper cosmos bouquet as you’d like. There is a PDF version of the leaves if you are cutting by hand, or an SVG to use with a cutting machine. We glued 2 leaves to each piece of floral wire, then wrapped the length with more floral tape. Mixing the crepe with the metallic paper gives the arrangement some beautiful texture, and we created some visual depth by using multiple shades of green for the leaves.
If you want to create a variety of cosmos, be sure to look at our gorgeous metallic paper cosmos tutorial. Find all of our crepe paper flowers, or pop over to our crepe paper anemones for another perfect flower for beginners. We love seeing your fabulous creations, so please share your project photos with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia. Tag your crepe flowers with #crepepaperrevival to see how others are using their crepe, or head to our membership page to start crafting with us. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team