Parrot tulips are known for their ruffled petals with brilliant splashes of color. They are a relatively large flower, which we love for a show-stopping crafting project. Once you make a bouquet of crepe paper parrot tulips, you’ll see why we are swooning over the whimsical and inviting blooms so much! We went with a deep purple color palette for our tulips, but there are also plenty of lighter color options for incorporating these beauties into your home.
- Rotary Cutter
- Cutting Mat
- Wire Cutter
- Crepe Paper [Extra Fine: Aubergine, Sangria, Black, Cypress]
- White and Green Floral Tape
- 18 and 20 Gauge Floral Wire
- 24 Gauge White Cloth Wrapped Floral Wire
- Oil Pastels [Sennelier in red and yellow]
- White Craft Glue
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Use a rotary cutter to cut 2.5″ strips of either Aubergine or Sangria crepe. Cut the strips at a diagonal so that the grain runs at about a 45 degree angle.
- Cut crepe pieces according to the template. The curves of the petal template don’t need to be followed exactly.
- Using white glue, attach a 22″ piece of the 18 gauge floral wire to the straight edge of the leaf.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
When you download the PDF template below, you will find that there are two petal sizes for our paper parrot tulips. Making a partially closed tulip with the smaller petals is optional, but it does give the bouquet a more realistic look. Plus, using the two shades of purple with a mix of Aubergine and Sangria crepe colors creates even more variety and depth. These paper tulip blooms are actually slightly larger than real parrot tulips to make them more dramatic and artful. If you are new to crafting with crepe paper, we always recommend watching our Crepe 101 video to learn techniques for cutting and stretching the material.
You should also note that using the oil pastels to use color detailing can get a bit messy. If you want to avoid getting the pastel all over your fingers as you blend the color, try using a cotton swab to blend.
More Floral Inspiration
Paper flowers are our passion, and we hope you are feeling inspired to see what all the fuss is about! Browse through all of our crepe paper flower tutorials to find more future projects and home decor ideas. Head over to our membership page to start discovering how simple DIY projects can help you empower the unique creativity that lives in you. We can’t wait to see what inspires you! ~ Lia & Team