One of the best things about fall is watching the leaves change color. However it’s always a little sad once the trees are bare, so we usually like to create some fall foliage that will last much longer than a month! Designed by Meagan, our crepe paper rising sun redbud branch features a trail of heart-shaped leaves in gorgeous autumn hues.
This DIY branch is a great craft project for beginners and a simple one to cut by hand using our printable template. Or you can always use your Maker or Cameo 4 with our SVG file.
Let’s have some sun!
We styled our crepe paper rising sun redbud branch with our crepe paper chestnut branch in a vase, but we think it would also look beautiful woven into one of our larger grapevine wreaths. Another option is to use the branches as table decor — just have them trailing along the middle of the table or wrap them around some candles to create a centerpiece.
Skill level: Beginner
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Paintbrush or Pastel Soft Art Sponge
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper – Cherry, Tangerine, Pear, and Juniper
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Espresso
- Floral Tape — Green
- Bind Wire – Brown
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- Floral Wire – 18-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- PanPastel Artist Pastel –Bright Yellow Green 680.5, Diarylide Yellow 250.5, Orange 280.5, and Permanent Red 340.5
How to Make a Crepe Paper Rising Sun Redbud Branch
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut crepe paper according to template using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Glue a 6-inch piece of brown bind wire between two leaf halves using white glue; repeat with all leaves.
- Color the center of the red leaves with the red and orange PanPastel; apply using a paintbrush or art sponge.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love this craft project? Explore all of our fall and Thanksgiving crafts for more ideas. Or see what other kinds of branches you can make. If you love the transition of fall, you might also enjoy crafting our crepe paper ombre oak leaf branches.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.