Magnolias are such a versatile flower. Not only do they make beautiful year-round decor, but you can also use them as Christmas decor — like when we made this holiday magnolia. Our crepe paper royal star magnolia branch is a great flower to craft for the winter season and enjoy in your home all next year.
Because we made quite a few blooms for this branch, we used a cutting machine to speed up the crafting process. But you can also cut this flower by hand if you want.
You’re a star
This flower is known for its star-shaped flowers and dark green leaves that turn coppery-bronze in the fall. To recreate this for our crepe paper royal star magnolia branch, Meagan made her own double-sided crepe paper using a dark green and dark brown extra-fine crepe. Then she lightened the brown leaves by coloring them with PanPastel.
Along with making the leaves, our tutorial will show you how to make your own branch using thick stem wire and floral tape and then attach your crepe paper flowers and leaves. You can play around with how many leaves and flowers you want on your branch as well as how you alternate the green and coppery-brown leaves.
If you have any questions, just reach out — and don’t forget to share photos of your crepe paper royal star magnolia branch with us!
Skill level: Intermediate since you need to make your own double-sided crepe.
Crafting tips: Before beginning this project you will need to make your own double-sided crepe paper using our Olive + Espresso extra-fine crepe paper. Need help with this? Watch our mini course on how to make your own double-sided paper using the lamination technique. You will need two w11″ x h9″ sheets of DIY double-sided crepe for this branch.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Detail Scissors
- High-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Curling Tool
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Olive and Espresso
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Green Tea & Cypress and White & White
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- Bind Wire – Brown
- Floral Tape — Bark & Pine
- Art Marker – Blick Studio Spring Green (043)
- PanPastel – Magenta (430.5) and Burnt Sienna Shade (740.3)
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Mod Podge – Matte
- Stitch Witchery
How to Make a Crepe Paper Royal Star Magnolia Branch
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the flower pattern below.
- Follow this video to make your own double-sided crepe paper, then cut the crepe leaves according to template notes using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Glue a piece of bind wire down the straight edge of one leaf half, then place a second leaf half on top.
- Apply mod podge to the green side of all leaves using a paint brush.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
We love using this crepe paper royal star magnolia branch as some subtle winter holiday decor. If you’re looking for more Christmassy projects to make, you can see all of our Christmas crafts here. Or explore our crepe paper flowers for more ideas.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.