Thistles have an incredible natural beauty about them but they can be quite pokey. Don’t worry – you can still capture this natural beauty inside your own home. We have created a thistle that you can make entirely out of crepe paper and won’t prick your fingers. This project uses a technique we call “fringing” to give your thistle that textured look. Gather your tools and materials and follow along with our simple tutorial below to get crafting. We styled the thistle with the leaves from the lisianthus flower!
Click here for our beginner’s guide on how to make crepe paper flowers.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Click here for more information.
- Extra Fine Crepe Paper – Lia Griffith “Raspberry”, and “Juniper”
- Pastels – PanPastels “Magenta Tint (430.8)”
- Green Paper Covered Floral Wire – 18 Gauge
- Natural Floral Wire
- Foam Ball – 3/4″
- Gather the tools and materials.
- Cut the crepe paper according to pattern notes using your scissors.
- Use an art sponge to apply the Pan Pastel to the pinked edge of both the purple and green crepe.
- Fringe the pinked edge of the purple and green crepe paper.
- Curl the fringed edge of the purple crepe paper slightly using the curling tool.
- With the fringe curling in, glue the purple crepe strips around the tip of the 18 gauge wire.
- Glue the foam ball just under the purple center, then begin gluing the green fringe around the ball starting at the base of the purple center.
- Cover the ball completely with the green fringe.
- Glue the two leaf halves together.
- Add 2-3 leaves to the stem of your thistle, then wrap the stem with floral tape.
Flaunt Your Flower Power!
Share what you’ve been up to by using #MadeWithLia . We love seeing the creative magic you conjure so strut your stuff and flaunt those project photos for all to see — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
We’re here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIY’s.
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Enjoy ~ Lia & Team